VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Drinking a cofee while reading a nerdlyPleasure blog is sure a good way to start the day! 😀 I bound to read his article about the PAS as I was interested because I append to have one of those but never bother to use it. I hate the fact that I have to load a driver to use the opl2 or opl3.

Reading the wikipedia article to get some more information, I read that there was a mod player that came with the card! I found that info from Shlomi Fish profile mentionning the player. Digging around the .lzh files from the 8bit version, I got nothing. But on the 16bit drivers there was a mod.lzh and programs.lzh contain musicbox.exe that the 8bit counterpart didnt. I could not test the program, has anyone did, did it take advantage of the PAS16 in any way or was it a 100% software player? I found that many player supported the PAS natively, but I always tought that it was as much support as a sbpro or sb16 could do, that is software player entirely unassited by the soundcard for the mixing.

Reply 1 of 4, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it even possible for the card to handle MOD in some special way? Tracker files include their samples. What could the card possibly do differently except maybe accelerate decoding slightly? (I'm not specifically claiming that the card can't handle tracker files specially. Maybe there is more to the subject than I am aware of.)

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 3 of 4, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are various MOD players/trackers that support the PAS16. The best is probably Cubic Player: http://www.cubic.org/player/download.html
And as Jepael and kenrouholo said, the card just has a single stereo 16-bit channel, so MODs can only be played with software mixing.
The PAS16 is not compatible with the SB16 or WSS. So the only way to get 16-bit audio is to have native PAS16 support in the player/tracker.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/