VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've always found that original thread with all the PCMCIA sound cards very interesting, but if I try to find one for myself I can buy, I can't find a single bit of information on who sells them. All I want is a card that will allow me to connect my Waveblaster MIDI interface board to. Is anyone able to help?

Reply 1 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCMCIA cards are very small (credit card-sized) and cannot accept daughter boards meant for full-size ISA or PCI internal sound cards. If you want support for MIDI devices, either get a Roland SCP-55 (PCMCIA version of the SC-55 Sound Canvas) or a PCMCIA sound card with either a game/MIDI port or MIDI connectors to which an external MIDI module can be connected.

As for a place that sells them, Ebay, second hand computer forums with a trading section, or your local second hand websites (e.g. Craigslist in the USA). You can't buy them in shops anymore.

Reply 2 of 4, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

PCMCIA cards are very small (credit card-sized) and cannot accept daughter boards meant for full-size ISA or PCI internal sound cards. If you want support for MIDI devices, either get a Roland SCP-55 (PCMCIA version of the SC-55 Sound Canvas) or a PCMCIA sound card with either a game/MIDI port or MIDI connectors to which an external MIDI module can be connected.

As for a place that sells them, Ebay, second hand computer forums with a trading section, or your local second hand websites (e.g. Craigslist in the USA). You can't buy them in shops anymore.

I am aware of that. The daughterboard that I have is standalone, and should, in theory, work like a Sound Canvas.

Here's the one I have.
http://www.serdashop.com/MIDIBOARDCHILL

And like I said, I cannot for the life of me find any place that sells one of these, not even Ebay, Amazon, or Craigslist.

Reply 3 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, they are pretty rare, so you will have to keep looking for one until you find one. With Ebay, it can help to use advanced search to search worldwide.

In the worst case, you could try finding a SCP-55 at a Japanese shop or on a Japanese auction site (there they are rare too), but you'll need to use a special ordering service and it won't be cheap...50-100 bucks before shipping, by my estimate.

Reply 4 of 4, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As yawetaG wrote, they are hard to find, but they do pop up from time to time, as you can see on this list of recently ended auctions for the SCP-55 on the japanese Yahoo auctions website:
http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/clos … lider=0&auccat=

I should add that if you can live without real DOS support, most if not all PCMCIA joystick controller cards can work as MIDI devices in Windows 9x, such as the IO Data PCJOY2 card:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=p … lider=0&auccat=

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics