VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all, I have a Creative CT2900 with a Vibra16S chip and im having trouble getting it to work in Dos, with one game it works great but with a different game the music is very garbled. I have used the "Vibra 16" driver from the Vogons driver library and it works in windows 98se and when I use the Diagnose.exe in windows it passes all tests in flying colours but in dos it gets to the MPU 401 and says basically "error mpu 401 port setting, check whether the mpu 401 midi port selected corresponds to that of your audi card." In windows device manager I have the card set to:

A220 I5 D3 H7 P330 with no conflicts, I know the card can use either 330 or 300 and I have tried them both by changing them in windows and then going back to dos and running diagnose but this does not stop the error. My boot disk for dos has: (I used this from my C:\autoexec and config by copy and paste into A:\autoexec and config)

Autoexec.bat

Set sound=C:\vibra16
Set blaster=A220 I5 D3 H7 P330 T6
Set Midi=synth:1 Map:E
C:\vibra16\diagnose /s
C:\vibra16\mixerset /P /Q

Config.sys

Device=C:\windows\himem.sys
Device=windows\emm386.exe 2048 RAM
Device=C:\vibra16\DRV\vibra16.sys /unit=0 /blaster=A:220 I:5 D:3 H:7
device=C:\vibra16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
DOS=High,UMB
Files=60
Buffers=20

When I used the driver I kept the files that went to the C:\windows folder as the ones I had where newer I think this driver is a win 3.1 but Im not sure, on the card its self I have two jumpers set to IOS0 and IOS1 both closed to set the card to use i/o address 220, If I use the mixerset program in dos and turn down Midi the garbled music is gone but no music so the voice, line, cd etc are fine. I have in my C:\Vibra16 folder these files:

install.exe
install.PVL
readme.com
readme.txt
cqa.com
cqa.txt
filelist.LST
[DRV] directory
Diagnose.exe
Play.exe
Record.exe
Ctmix.cfg
Sbfmdrv.com
Mixerset.exe
[Windrv] directory
Winsetup.exe
Winsetup.inf
[Winappl] Directory
Qcd.exe
[Samples] Directory

and in my C:\Vibra16\DRV folder I have:

AUXDRV.DRV
CT-VOICE.DRV
CTMIDI.DRV
CTVDSK.DRV
CTWDSK.DRV
CTWMEM.DRV
CTMMSYS.SYS
VIBRA16.SYS

Im not sure but I might not have the autoexec and config files setup right for dos like a driver not loaded or something to play music even though Im not using a Midi device Im just using "sound blaster" for music to un-powered speakers built into the monitor im using. I have two pins on the board to disable the IDE port and this card seems to be non Plug n Play as during post it does not list it or its settings. The game with bad music is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Dos edition.

Reply 1 of 1, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem has been solved, all the settings and drivers were good but all I had to to was to turn off "CPU internal cache" in the bios as some games dont like my 500MHz CPU because some of the games were designed for CPU's with about 66MHz speeds.