VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone im new to this board. i have recently picked up a compaq evo n600c it originally had win xp on it but i thought id downgrade it to win 98 to turn it into a dos gaming laptop. i have installed all my sound drivers the laptop sound card is a ess allegro pci audio (wdm) however when ever i want to play a dos game in windows orshutdown into dos mode i cant get any sound as all the games want a soundblaster 16 that my laptop does not have is there anyway to fix this or emulate a soundblaster 16 on windows 98? i did read a thread on here about it but all the software links were dead and lead to pages of ads and viruses. any help would be greatly aprecated as im dying to have a ms dos gaming laptop cheers

Reply 2 of 32, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes i have tryed every setting. i have also tried changing my auto bat file but nothing is working my resourses only says interrupt request 11 and input/output 2400-24ff
ive tried different drivers and im still stuck ive been stuffing around with this for hours now with no luck not one dos game will work with sound

Reply 3 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote:

my resourses only says interrupt request 11 and input/output 2400-24ff

What do you mean by your "resources"? And what sort of changes have you made to your "auto bat" file?

If you have "tried different drivers" then at this point it could very well be that something has become hopelessly messed up even if it would otherwise work. Providing more details will be helpful.

Reply 4 of 32, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my autobat file in my c drive was empty so i put in there SET BLASTERA=2400 I11 T4 and when i mean resources im talking about the tab in device manager when i click on ess allegro pci audio (wdm) and go to properties there does not seem to be a dma im really stuck with this ive never had this issue on any other computer running win98 before

Reply 5 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote:

my autobat file in my c drive was empty so i put in there SET BLASTERA=2400 I11 T4

Did you mistype that..?

You should probably try the SETBLAST utility from Re: get no sound in MS-dos, but get it in win98SE to determine the proper settings for your sound device.

Reply 6 of 32, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi yes miss spelt autobac i have tried that apllication and it just says no sound device found on this address even though the sound is working 100% fine in windows 98 to play mp3 and dvds ect. its just that no dos game or app will detect my soundcard i have tried over 30 different drivers now and the wdm driver is the only one that will work with windows

Reply 7 of 32, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to find some VXD drivers for the ESS Allegro instead of the WDM drivers you are using now. If you find a driver that's compatible with Windows 95 it should be a VXD one.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote:

hi yes miss spelt autobac

I meant that it looks like you misspelled "blaster" as well. If you are misspelling things on your machine then you may expect to encounter problems.

i have tried that apllication and it just says no sound device found on this address

That application is intended to allow you to easily try different addresses. Did you try different addresses (and IRQs and DMA channels) ? As I mentioned before, it may also be necessary to specify that you have a Sound Blaster Pro and not a Sound Blaster 16.

even though the sound is working 100% fine in windows 98 to play mp3 and dvds ect.

That does not necessarily mean it should work with DOS applications if you have the wrong settings.

Reply 9 of 32, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vkcpolice wrote:

hi yes miss spelt autobac

If this is how much effort you put into your spelling then Jorpho may be on to something.

Use this:

SET BLASTER=A240 I11 D1 H3 T4

Don't spell it wrong.

I don't know what the DMA settings ( D1 H3 ) actually are on your card, I just guessed. And some programs/games may have a default port of 220 so you may have to manually make sure it's set to 240. Same for the IRQ which is usually 7 or 5 instead of 11.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As a last resort, there's still VDMSound for Windows 9x..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 32, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remove the blaster-line from Autoexec.bat

Install WDM drivers for your Soundcard.

Open a Dosbox inside Win98 andy type set

It should display a Blaster line with A220 I5 D1.

Setup your game with these Resources.

(Win98 has Build-in SBPro support if you use WDM Drivers.)

Reply 12 of 32, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sammy wrote:

Open a Dosbox inside Win98 andy type set

Note that Sammy is asking you to open a real DOS window (i.e. by opening "Command Prompt") and not running DOSBox.

Reply 13 of 32, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok thx gonna give this a go i had to resort to using dosbox on win 98 to get my dos games to run with sound. and sorry about my spelling i cant spell very well
i will also try to find windows 95 drivers that are vxd thnks

Reply 16 of 32, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vkcpolice wrote:

bad file/command line

This means you typed it in wrong (or, more likely, spelled it wrong).

Post a picture of your autoexec.bat file. (and yes, it's spelled A U T O E X E C . B A T )

Reply 19 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, that's completely wrong. 😒 Or at least, it's something I've never seen before.

Look at what is written above:

keenmaster486 wrote:

Use this:

SET BLASTER=A240 I11 D1 H3 T4

For some strange reason you have

BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 E:4 B:330

If you want to try those settings, then you should at least have

BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 E4 B330

If you can't spell very well, you are going to have a bad time.