VOGONS

DMA issues

Topic actions

First post, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok.... motherboard is an abit ic7-g sound card is a diamond sound mx400. Here is my issue. Im having issues with selecting sound fx in certain games it is throwing the possible dma conflict as the error. I understand that soundblaster is being emulated. My confusion is why it works in some dos titles but not others under soundblaster. For instance. Music and sound work with duke nukem. Music and sound work with doom. Music works with doom ii but not sound same for blood. Neither music or sound works for redneck rampage. Also something else noticed and am a little confused by. When i bring up the card in device manager all drivers are good. When i look at the interupt channel it shows channel 9. As i have read the interrupt selected should be 7. I have tried to change it in the device manager but it will not let me. Also i have tried reading about disabling APIC? So that channels are not auto controlled. Still throwing conflict error. Any ideas besides switch to a vortex 2 or isa?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    4.7 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    This is why i cant understand them conflicting
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Gixxxer on 2017-03-17, 03:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gixxxer wrote:

When i look at the interupt channel it shows channel 9. As i have read the interrupt selected should be 7.

Where did you read that? The interrupt can go wherever it needs to go. Sometimes 7 is used for compatibility reasons, but frequently that conflicts with the parallel port. If you think you are having IRQ problems, then disabling your serial and parallel ports in your BIOS is usually a very good way to start.

Most DOS games have their own separate configuration/installation programs (where you can do things like select the sound card IRQ), so some of your games might not be configured correctly.

Reply 2 of 6, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where did i read what? Also i dont understand how it can be conflicting when it works in some games and nott others. I mean you would think that the framework for doom and doom ii would be the same. So why would it work for one and not the other. Thats what im trying to figure out. I will try disabling in bios and see what happens.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gixxxer wrote:

Where did i read what?

You said, "i have read the interrupt selected should be 7", so: did you read it somewhere?

Address is 220 channel 1 irq 7 or 5 usually in all dos game setup.exe befor loading games.

What do you mean by "7 or 5" ? Are you trying to use 7 in some games and 5 in others..?

Try using the SETBLAST utility from Re: get no sound in MS-dos, but get it in win98SE .

Reply 5 of 6, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had poked around the internet looking through various sites since i dont see the mx400 talked about on here much. More of the mx300 with daughterboards and tried various options looking for a fix. Many times people just list it as specific number for people and it would work so i tried the same.
Under the irq tab in the pic originally the mx400 was set to the irq9 after disabling things in the bios it is now set to irq 7. Some games i have are shareware verions that have likely been manipulates filewise. I was just using them to test hardware to see where i stand with component compatability in getting the best all around 98/dos machine. So doom for instance works on irq 5 or 7 for whatever reason with both fx and music.i will try utility and get back to you.