VOGONS

Roland SC-D70

Topic actions

First post, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, everyone,

I'm in Tokyo at the moment and I came across a Roland SC-D70 in my search for MIDI modules. (Sadly, the only one that I have been able to find.)

Does anyone have experience using this module? Specifically, I'm wondering how it compares to the SC-55mkII (which I have) and the SC-88Pro (which I want).

I intend to use it for GM/GS compatible games.

The only references to it that I can find are from skyscraper in a couple of older threads.

From what I can tell, it seems to be similar to the SC-8820/8850 series, and it includes a S/PDIF output.

Thank you!

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 1 of 11, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried googling for the manual and threads on pro-audio forums?

Also, Japanese recycling and second hand stores should have tons of old professional audio equipment (just be prepared to Google type numbers a lot and be aware that Japan uses 100V current...)

Reply 2 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems it's the same as SC-8820 but with the digital output parts added and more controls on it. Sadly it does not have the MAP button like the SC-8820 and you need to send SysEx messages to change between 8820/88pro/88/55 maps. Have a look at page 37 at the manual: http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SC-D70_OM.pdf

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 11, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's better than all SC modules except for the SC-8850. It has samples for, and can "emulate," the SC-55/mkII, SC-88, SC-88Pro, SC-8820. If I remember correctly, the internal mixing rate is higher than the SC-8850's 32khz for cleaner sound. And it has USB audio and SPDIF & toslink in/out.

The only downside is no LCD screen; I use mine daily.

Attachments

• scd70.jpg
    Filename
    scd70.jpg
    File size
    86.68 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    d70
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Have you tried googling for the manual and threads on pro-audio forums?

Also, Japanese recycling and second hand stores should have tons of old professional audio equipment (just be prepared to Google type numbers a lot and be aware that Japan uses 100V current...)

I have checked several places in DenDen Town in Osaka, and a few places around Tokyo. I've found some MIDI gear, but almost nothing of the older GM/GS/XG type.

Keropi, thank you for finding that. It looks like it should be pretty close or exactly as good.

I've made contact with an eBay seller so that I can meet up and see an FB-01, MU-2000, and an MU-80.

It's turning out to be a nice little pilgrimage!

486 Build

Reply 5 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FuzzyLogic wrote:

I think it's better than all SC modules except for the SC-8850. It has samples for, and can "emulate," the SC-55/mkII, SC-88, SC-88Pro, SC-8820. If I remember correctly, the internal mixing rate is higher than the SC-8850's 32khz for cleaner sound. And it has USB audio and SPDIF & toslink in/out.

The only downside is no LCD screen; I use mine daily.

Thank you! It wasn't in the best cosmetic condition, so if I can talk them down, I might go for it.

486 Build

Reply 6 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the advice. I ended up meeting up with an eBay seller and acquired several things! A Yamaha MU-2000EX, a Roland SC-D70, and an unexpected CM-500 GM/GS.

I was hoping for an FB-01, but the one that he has was rough, and it's really more of a curiosity than a necessity.

486 Build

Reply 7 of 11, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SC-D70 is an upgrade over the SC-88Pro. It basically gives the same samples but with digital output, which upgrades the quality a bit.

I have had one for about 9 years now. In all the recordings I used the 8850 for, I used actually a D70 (except one or two patches which sound different like the stereo piano).

One other super useful feature is the digital sound card on board. Used that a lot also.

Finally, you don't have to use SysEx to change maps, for gaming you do, but in MIDI-land you can use controller 32 to change maps (I believe values between 0 and 3).

It does not emulate the SC-55 and mk II properly, so be aware of that. I forget the specifics, but I remember the patch "Saw Wave" is an example, and the track "Battle of the Badders" from QFG4 also.

Reply 8 of 11, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spikey wrote:

Finally, you don't have to use SysEx to change maps, for gaming you do, but in MIDI-land you can use controller 32 to change maps (I believe values between 0 and 3).

Of course, that should be valid for any GM-compatible module...

Reply 10 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote:
The SC-D70 is an upgrade over the SC-88Pro. It basically gives the same samples but with digital output, which upgrades the qual […]
Show full quote

The SC-D70 is an upgrade over the SC-88Pro. It basically gives the same samples but with digital output, which upgrades the quality a bit.

I have had one for about 9 years now. In all the recordings I used the 8850 for, I used actually a D70 (except one or two patches which sound different like the stereo piano).

One other super useful feature is the digital sound card on board. Used that a lot also.

It does not emulate the SC-55 and mk II properly, so be aware of that. I forget the specifics, but I remember the patch "Saw Wave" is an example, and the track "Battle of the Badders" from QFG4 also.

I was intending it, at least for now, as a gaming device, and I did find the information in the manual to adjust which maps to use. I'm sure that SysEx files already exist, but I need to stretch my programming muscles and write them myself.

Thank you for the information.

486 Build

Reply 11 of 11, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spikey wrote:

Why would it be? I can't think of any other module that has 4 maps that represent different synths..

Because Control number 32 (CC 32) is used as the map select message according to the MIDI standard (this comes straight out of my Roland PC-70 MIDI controller and SC-88VL manuals). Any module that has more than one map will react to that...

I just tried it with my SC-88VL, and the SC-55 map can be selected from my MIDI keyboard by sending CC 32 = 1 (whereas CC 32 = 0 selects the SC-88 map).

The MIDI standard would never have supported map select for just one module brought out way later than the standard's creation, that's nonsensical.

Edit: I just won an auction for an effects module that has more than 128 internal patches available (in a single map). Since that would be incompatible with the MIDI standard, the module allows the user to freely split the internal patches over two software-defined maps...each of which can then be selected using CC 32.

I'm not talking about variation tones.

Nor was I.