VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everybody.

I've got a sound card with an aureal chip on it which says "Aureal 8810" which according to google corresponds to "aureal vortex advantage". Windows 98 detects the sound card but it doesn't have the driver included, so I downloaded the one available on the vogons driver archive ... but at some point during the installation, the computer freezes ...

What could be causing that issue ? Is the card dead ?
Also, is that card really worth any interest since it's the cheapest aureal card. Does it have the 3D audio improvements that the Vortex 1 and 2 have ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would try other PCI slots. Remove other cards too.

If you can get it working I would like to hear your thoughts on how it sounds. It supports A3D 1.0 but I think it's all CPU processed. That may not matter if your CPU is fast.

Reply 2 of 2, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your likely problem is the SB Pro support installing. It's probably trying to use an IRQ which is being used by something else. You should be able to boot into Safe Mode, and in device manager, in the "hardware" tap for the Aureal AU8810 SB Pro Emulation - change the "resource configuration profile" (something like that) to another random number - make sure it uses a different IRQ eg. move it from 5 to 7. When you restart you should see the DOS-mode driver confirm that everything is ok, and that should fix your problem. Any further issues, try limiting IRQ's in the BIOS.