VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Vibra 16 C card. Right now it's plugged into a 286 motherboard with no hard drive and a single 720K floppy, for testing purposes. I want to initialize the OPL3 chip without having to load any device drivers from the disk, just with a single utility.

Is this possible?

If not, which drivers should I load at the bare minimum to make this card functional?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... Interesting.

So on a 286 I just run DIAGNOSE and it will work?

That doesn't appear to work... I ran DIAGNOSE and it chokes when I tell it that the card is set at address 220. It can't find the card.

Reply 4 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, just realized I forgot to include the model number in the OP! It's a CT2960. Do we know whether that is a PnP card or not?

Reply 5 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just install it the standard way, and it will tell you.

2 disks, SBBASIC and CTCMBBS.

Run SBBASIC installation, if it asks for CTCM disk, you know it's PnP. If not, then it's not. Pretty easy 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks Phil, that's what I'd be doing but unfortunately I don't have that luxury 🙁 . All I have is a single 720K drive. No HDD.

Reply 7 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Thanks Phil, that's what I'd be doing but unfortunately I don't have that luxury 🙁 . All I have is a single 720K drive. No HDD.

Got another machine to test it out?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the Vibra S uses a CT2504 chip, it may not be PnP. The 2960 uses a Vibra C chip so you do require PnP configuration.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Got another machine to test it out?

I wish 🙁 Currently I'm away from my primary DOS/Win98 machines I'd be using otherwise. I'm just trying to see if I can make it work with this 286 motherboard I found.

dr.sbaitso wrote:

If i recall correctly, all the SB Vibra 16S and 16C cards are plug and play.

gdjacobs wrote:

If the Vibra S uses a CT2504 chip, it may not be PnP. The 2960 uses a Vibra C chip so you do require PnP configuration.

OK, that clears things up a little - so assuming it is PnP, then what's the bare minimum with the least memory usage that I would have to load/run to initialize (at the minimum) the OPL3 chip?

Reply 13 of 15, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

CTCM can not run on a 286 (probably compiled for 386+).

Have a look here: Installing PnP Soundblaster in 286/386 system?

The tool by dca2 worked fine on my attempt - a CT4180. It's not a TSR and thus takes no memory.

1+1=10

Reply 14 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Have a look here: viewtopic.php?t=35282

The tool by dca2 worked fine on my attempt - a CT4180. It's not a TSR and thus takes no memory.

YES!!!!!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Worked perfectly first try, no questions asked. I now have a fully initialized Sound Blaster with no memory used. Bingo!

Thank you!

Reply 15 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

I haven't ever seen a Vibra16C with an OPL3 chip.

It's the onboard CQM core.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder