VOGONS

First post, by noobineer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was rebuilding some old computer parts I have and I tried to use an old CT1750 SB16 card and the drivers install fine but I can’t hear any output. The voltage regulators are getting blistering hot while it’s on. I’m wondering if it could need to be recapped or if it’s just toast.

My 2nd card is an AWE64 CT4520 which isn’t being detected by the computer, no pnp detection in bios and code 10 if I manually install the windows driver. I didn’t have it seated completely in the motherboard slot when I turned it on for the first time today. Could that have damaged it and caused it to not detect?

I have also tried an isa pnp CT2940 Vibra16 card that auto-detects perfectly and sounds fine on W98 and I also had a non-pnp Media Vision Thunderboard working so I can rule out the computer and OS.

Reply 1 of 1, by noobineer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried changing the jumpers on the SB16 to bypass the amplifier and use just a line out and it worked and sounds perfect!

I wonder why the internal amp isn't working? With line out enabled the VRs are still super hot. There's a JP1 labeled AUDIO PWB by the amp section/3.5mm connectors which has 7 pins and the card is currently configured with the jumper between pins 5+6 and the a jumper is closed on RSPK EN. I haven't been able to find any explanation for how those should be set.

I think the awe64 is toast though due to my carelessness =(