VOGONS

First post, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey gang,

So I recently acquired a few sound cards, one of them being a Turtle Beach ASC338. It uses the AU8830 sound chip, so I know it's an Aureal Vortex 2.

My question is, is this Turtle Beach an actual Montego II card? And which drivers should I be using, the Aureal Reference drivers v2041, or the actual Montego II drivers from Turtle Beach v2046?

I've tried all of the above, and they actually all work great. However, I'd still like to hear your thoughts on this.

One last thing, I've also noticed that no matter what driver I use, many of my games lock up unless I disable "use DirectSound Hardware Acceleration" in the A3D system settings.

Thanks again,
Retro

Reply 1 of 3, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone???.... *Echoes 😦

I've uploaded a pic, hopefully should help a bit.

thanks everyone,
Retro

Attachments

• ASC338.jpg
    Filename
    ASC338.jpg
    File size
    255.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 3, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not an expert on these cards.
I can only tell you that the number above the silver thing (oscillator?) on my card is TBS400-3356-01 as it appears to be in your picture, and my card came in the same box with the same driver CD as boxpressed's card in this thread
Turtle Beach Montego II Unboxing

However the chip on mine says A3D VORTEX2 AU8830A2 while yours seems to say A3D VORTEX AU8830A2 (VORTEX instead of VORTEX2). So mine may be a slightly different model than yours. On the back of my card there is a boxed area with "FC" in big letters followed by
TURTLE BEACH
ASC338(E)

Reply 3 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both are Vortex 2 cards (unless the chip silkscreen is fake). AU8820 was the Vortex 1 chip.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder