VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an Ego-Sys WaMi Box at a recycling centre I have the WaMi Box, Install CD with V.2.0, manuals but I dont have the PCMCIA card or the cable that plugs from the PCMCIA card into the WaMi Box, I did however get a Roland ED UM-1 USB MIDI Interface Cable that has cables for MIDI in and out and then makes it into USB. I think the WaMi Box gets power from the PCMCIA card that plugs into the WaMi box with a 15 pin plug but because I dont have the cable or the PCMCIA card does anyone here have knowledge of how to get this to work without the two things im missing? I would like to use this if possible on a desktop somehow maybe with a cable from the ISA sound card MIDI port to the WaMi or even USB, is this doable? Is the PCMCIA card a special card like a sound card of some sort or could I use any old card that has at one end a 15 pin cable to plug into the WaMi? I would like to get this to work because it can: (from the manual) "use wami box as a MIDI sound module, Wami box can be used as if its a MIDI sound module. Just connect a MIDI cable to its MIDI IN jack. With MIDI sound font editor, you can create and store sounds fonts of your own and upload the sound set using Set Manager to use." Im hoping to get this to work for gaming with MIDI as the WaMi Box has 16mb of storage for sound fonts.

Reply 1 of 2, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not familiar with the WaMi Box in particular, so I could be wrong, but with most things like this, the smarts are in the ISA/PCI/PCMCIA card itself, not the breakout box. You could quickly figure this out by opening the WaMi Box and seeing the complexity of parts inside, and what there is, is anything, for microcrontrollers, RAM, etc... but I have my doubts. Sorry.

Reply 2 of 2, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Wami Box is not just a breakout box, it contains the DSP and most of the electronics, the card is just the interface for it, you need it and the cable to use it.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics