MX200-2.jpg
Filename
MX200-2.jpg
File size
26.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Just got this card as a piece of "Junk" on Yahoo Auction Japan (In Japan, "junk" sometimes means "not tested goods", so people can get those "junk" in a pretty cheaper price even it may be still workable though u can't claim returns or refunds if it is a junk literally).

I wish to build an early Win98 era old gaming PC for games using Direct X 5.0~6.0 and Glide or later 90's dos game could be run under win9x. I've got an Asus CUBX-E motherboard with ISA slots and ATA-100 chip, voodoo 3 3000 (both AGP and PCI version). Because Midi music is still widely used by those games in that period (FF7 & FF8 etc.), I'm thinking of using an AWE64-gold with this MX200 together on it.

So, how is the quality of this midi daughterboard on MX200? IS it a Dream-Roland one? My AWE64-gold got no MIDI daughterboard and I've never used those two sound cards before (just heard them before as some kinds of legends), I believe the sound quality of those two cards are the top class in that era, but got no idea about their midi quality. Is it still necessary to use hardware midi synthesizer such as Roland-88 pro on those cards? Need some information and suggestions on it.

BTW: I think voodoo 3 is good enough for DX5.0~6.0, Glide games and later 90's dos games, but opengl and S3TC are the weakness, so should I equip another S3 Savage 4/2000 or Geforce FX 5200 PCI card for other games?

Thanks

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 4, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe this should be a version of Dream synth daughterboard, but with 1 Mb or 2 Mb ROM instead of 4 Mb. Not sure if the sound bank is from Roland.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2 of 4, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "Monster Sound Gold" is a 4MB board based on the dream 9733 synth. It has the Roland Sound Canvas soundfont inside. It uses the same soundbank as used on the very original "MaxiSound 64" from Guillemot (the soundbank is GMS963200) - excellent quality.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.