VOGONS

Wrangling 3 MIDI synthesizers

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Kawai looks to be more like $70, and I'm currently fairly space constrained. Size is one of the reasons I haven't jumped on the $20 AT KVMs. I can't find a midi thru box with enough inputs, and they aren't cheap either.

Reply 21 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
It depends on what you want to do with it. Personally I really like all of the routing options a MIDI patchbay offers, something […]
Show full quote

It depends on what you want to do with it. Personally I really like all of the routing options a MIDI patchbay offers, something my MIDI/computer interface doesn't (unless I keep my computer on and DAW open at all times).

Consider it as follows:
- Option A is buying tons of MIDI merge*/thru/split boxes, having to change the cables every time you need to change something in your configuration.
- Option B is a MIDI patchbay to which you more or less permanently attach your stuff, and you only need to push a button or change a switch position to choose a different routing.

* Note: not all patchbays offer merge, AFAIK only the programmable ones.

I can't speak when it comes to music creation and/or exotic setups, but a midi thru box is pretty easy to work with: 1xIN and it offers several xOUT. So one just powers the midi module he wants or uses a sound selector to chose what he hears. Easy.

@HunterZ

how about this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182593972400

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I saw those (and this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122471526666 ). At first I was thinking they wouldn't work for me, because they would clone the input data to all synthesizers at the same time.

Since my intent is to only have one active at a time, however, it *could* be a technically overkill but monetarily cheaper way to achieve my needs.

The only question is how well it handles SysEx, which seems to sometimes be a sticking point.

Also, they're about $35, which is about twice the cost of the AT KVM (but better fit my space constraints).

Reply 23 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would avoid the cable, just get the other device I linked with the buffer logic and the external psu input. I am sure it will be fine as it does have an optocoupler, proper buffering and unlike the quadra boxes it does not use power from the midi cable. Compare it to my midiman/kenton boxes and you'll see they are similar in components.
Personally I have all devices connected and only power the one I need: no cable changes, no extra settings.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 24 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

The Kawai looks to be more like $70, and I'm currently fairly space constrained.

That why I wrote "BIN prices ≠ (do not equal) actual auction prices". Most BIN prices are horribly exaggerated, and it takes time to wait for a deal (and I don't care that many people in this world have no patience).

Mine cost me a little less than 40 bucks (+ shipping).

Reply 25 of 28, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I would avoid the cable, just get the other device I linked with the buffer logic and the external psu input. I am sure it will be fine as it does have an optocoupler, proper buffering and unlike the quadra boxes it does not use power from the midi cable. Compare it to my midiman/kenton boxes and you'll see they are similar in components.
Personally I have all devices connected and only power the one I need: no cable changes, no extra settings.

I think the 1-to-5 device would work just fine, although at quick glance there's a couple of things that caught my eye.

The MIDI input does have an optoisolator, but it looks like the input connector ground pin (center pin, pin #2 on the DIN connector) is connected to system ground, while it should not be connected to anywhere. That will allow any ground loop currents that would like to flow between devices. Easy fix to cut that track.

Another thing is that MIDI outputs should have two resistors, one 220 ohms to buffer chip and one 220 ohms to 5V, and it looks like there's only one resistor per output connector. Unless there's some SMD resistors on the solder side.

Nevertheless, this can be made fully compliant to MIDI electrical specs, and I seriously have to wonder why is it so hard for manufacturers to get this right. I mean MIDI technology is like older than 35 years so it should be mature enough.

Reply 26 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:

Nevertheless, this can be made fully compliant to MIDI electrical specs, and I seriously have to wonder why is it so hard for manufacturers to get this right. I mean MIDI technology is like older than 35 years so it should be mature enough.

Oh, they can get it right, they just don't sell their products for the 10-20 dollars that people here seem to be willing to pay for them.

Reply 27 of 28, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Edirol UM-550. They often sell on yahoo for much less then it' big brother UM-880.
Very quick to use and built like a tank. Highly recommended.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 28 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually been enjoying using my synthesizers in a daisy-chain MIDI configuration, as I get the benefit of SC-88 and/or MT-32 LCD displays while listening to the CM-64. It's also nice being able to quickly cycle through the synths while listening to a song in order to compare them, which wouldn't be possible with a multi-output USB-MIDI interface without using software like MIDI Yoke or something.

The Roland intro to the original X-Com sounds noticeably different between the MT-32 Old and the CM-64 in spots (and not just because of the CM-32 sound effects).