Rank

Ok, last question...

Got my PIII 933MHz
Got my Audician 32 Plus w/ Dreamblaster

Now what PCI card to pair it with...
Turtle Beach Montego II Vortex2
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Sound Blaster Live!
(Only have the main board with all of them. No second card that connects via cable)

I've read up on them all and I just cannot decide. Which one would you go with?

P.S. I have two Santa Cruzes, one with black caps, one with blue caps. Anyone know what that is about? Otherwise, they are identical.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 7, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Santa Cruz has excellent sound quality; it makes an effort at supporting a good variety of API's, but my impression is that it's a bit flaky.

The Live's EAX has wide support, but it's not a really great effect until the Audigy brought EAX 3.0. Except for EAX support, SoundFonts if you want them instead of a decent MIDI board, and possibly SPDIF CD audio support, the Vortex2 is better here for 98SE. A3D 2.0 is supported by a nice bunch of titles, and no other cards do it right. If you can also cover EAX with a later PC, I think it's an easy decision.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 7, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try both, and then just see what one you use most. I suggest doing it like this: Install both, when you use an EAX game switch to the Live, and keep it that way until you switch to an A3D game. After a week or two, keep whichever you one you've had the most time with.

No reason you can't just keep both in too :p

Reply 3 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't the A3D also EAX compatible ?(early versions of it obviously)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 7, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

The Santa Cruz has excellent sound quality; it makes an effort at supporting a good variety of API's, but my impression is that it's a bit flaky.

Great job! You tried really hard! Here's your participation trophy!

That's what that sounded like 🤣

So by flaky, are you meaning that it does an OK job supporting EAX, A3D, etc.? Not bad, not great?

SRQ wrote:

No reason you can't just keep both in too :p

That's three sound cards! Isn't that like crossing the streams?

Actually, I had given the thought of having the Audician always do MIDI in Windows via Dreamblaster and being there for DOS games. I would have the Vortex2 inside the case and then use the external Extigy. I had thought about using a SB Live instead but now maybe a Santa Cruz. So I was also thinking three cards. 😀

I also did think about the Audigy2 ZS but I was going to put one in a XP build.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 5 of 7, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GiSWiG wrote:
Great job! You tried really hard! Here's your participation trophy! […]
Show full quote
firage wrote:

Great job! You tried really hard! Here's your participation trophy!

That's what that sounded like 🤣

So by flaky, are you meaning that it does an OK job supporting EAX, A3D, etc.? Not bad, not great?

Yes, well... 😀 It does early EAX and A3D 1.0 in addition to DirectSound, which is better versatility than most things. Just too bad it's not all smooth; depending on the game there's missing sounds, glitches and such. It's been about 15 years since I've last used a Sensaura card, though. I have one of these somewhere that I've never even tested out.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 7, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, all that time, all I used was Creative (good marketing team!). I never used anything else until the on-board sound of the A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO you want a Vortex 2 for A3D games and you want an Audigy 2 for your EAX needs. EAX doesn't work acceptably with any Aureal driver, and Creative's A3D emulation similarly might as well not exist.

Why Audigy 2? It has noticeably better output signal quality than Live or Audigy 1. There are Win9x VXD drivers available for Audigy 2. You don't want to use the WDM drivers because there will be problems with sound in some games. This is the case with all Creative cards.

The other cards, like Santa Cruz (Crystal DSP), ESS Maestro/Solo/etc, VLSI Thunderbird, etc all have worse compatibility with EAX / A3D than the makers of the APIs.