VOGONS

First post, by Atomizer_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. After trying various drivers, I finally found one that actually worked in Windows and dos. The wdm drivers caused nothing but trouble but vxd worked straight away. Sound in Windows 98se is fine. I get midi out on the gameport, I get a3d sound. In dos, I load the au30dos.com file, which gives me sound. Midi out on gameport works in dos and I get output through sound blaster emulation in DOS. Thing is, sb in dos is mono/dual-stereo.

I haven't found anyone else with this issue.. Is there a recommended driver I should try? Cheers

Last edited by Atomizer_Zero on 2017-05-18, 14:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it is not fault. Vortex is SB/SBpro only. If you choose too much kHz in game setup you'll get mono sound. Try 22 kHz. Or change to Live/Audigy and you'll get SB16 and 44 kHz 16 bit stereo.

Reply 2 of 2, by Atomizer_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried 22 kHz and only the quality dropped, but still mono. I was worried i'd have to put another card in. I've already had a lot of trouble with IRQ's, so a lot of on board features such as parallel, serial and ethernet are all disabled. I have USB enabled, agp gpu, and the vortex 2 installed and thats it... still, all the irq's are taken 😠

I think i'm going to make an image of the hdd and then do some experiments... will report back with my findings.

Thanks!

After much more testing..breaking things...redoing things... I finally figured it out. I was using the setup program for duke nukem 3d to test audio, and during the setup of the sound card, I had to change the sound card type to sound blaster pro 2.0 to get stereo. Also works fine at 44 KHz. seems to be working great now