VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Presbytier wrote:

So I actually just bought a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty brand new in the box off of eBay myself for my Windows 10 system. I was using a Sound Blaster Z, but that only emulates EAX 3,4,5 it does not do it in hardware. So I hooked up the X-Fi installed the drivers and it works great and I swear CMSS 3D sounds much more accurate then SBX does. I have one question though on the mixer tab there is an option to enable EAX what exactly does that do? Does it effect EAX effects in the game or only apply EAX effects on the Microphone?

EDIT: So after some testing in both Quake 4 and Doom 3 clicking the EAX on button in the mixer definitely changes the audio. In Quake 4 it actually seems to add more effects to some explosions but can sound tinny and in Doom 3 everything becomes a bit more echoy. I am not sure if I should leave it on or off because it does appear to actually effect the ingame effects, so any advice on the proper settings would be much appreciated.

The EAX setting in the mixer tab affects everything. There should also be a selection for different sound stages as well as the amount of effect to use.

It has nothing to do with EAX effects in the games themselves. It is a post processing feature.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 23, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Presbytier wrote:

So I actually just bought a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty brand new in the box off of eBay myself for my Windows 10 system. I was using a Sound Blaster Z, but that only emulates EAX 3,4,5 it does not do it in hardware. So I hooked up the X-Fi installed the drivers and it works great and I swear CMSS 3D sounds much more accurate then SBX does. I have one question though on the mixer tab there is an option to enable EAX what exactly does that do? Does it effect EAX effects in the game or only apply EAX effects on the Microphone?

EDIT: So after some testing in both Quake 4 and Doom 3 clicking the EAX on button in the mixer definitely changes the audio. In Quake 4 it actually seems to add more effects to some explosions but can sound tinny and in Doom 3 everything becomes a bit more echoy. I am not sure if I should leave it on or off because it does appear to actually effect the ingame effects, so any advice on the proper settings would be much appreciated.

The EAX setting in the mixer tab affects everything. There should also be a selection for different sound stages as well as the amount of effect to use.

It has nothing to do with EAX effects in the games themselves. It is a post processing feature.

So just to be clear, and thanks for answering, not enabling EAX in the mixer will not disable EAX in games even though I do notice a very noticeable difference in audio with it turned on in EAX games like Quake 4.

Here is a picture of what I am looking at.

2017-06-02.png
Filename
2017-06-02.png
File size
2.96 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 22 of 23, by lagonauta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cyclone3d is right, but only on Entertainment Mode this is true, while on Music Creation Mode this is totally customisable.

On Game Mode, disabling EAX on the panel disables any EFX/EAX used by OpenAL. Enabling EAX on the control panel does not enable system-wide effects on this mode.

By the way, what drivers are you using on Windows 10 for your Fatality Pro? Does it cause "high" cpu usage on audiodg.exe when recording or playing, compared to onboard? Mine does (especially when recording) , but I am not sure if this is an firmware problem or something...

Reply 23 of 23, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lagonauta wrote:

cyclone3d is right, but only on Entertainment Mode this is true, while on Music Creation Mode this is totally customisable.

On Game Mode, disabling EAX on the panel disables any EFX/EAX used by OpenAL. Enabling EAX on the control panel does not enable system-wide effects on this mode.

By the way, what drivers are you using on Windows 10 for your Fatality Pro? Does it cause "high" cpu usage on audiodg.exe when recording or playing, compared to onboard? Mine does (especially when recording) , but I am not sure if this is an firmware problem or something...

I am using the Daniel_k Drivers http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2017/01/sb … rt-pack-40.html and I have not noticed a high CPU usage, but I have an i5 6500 so 4 cores might be balancing it. I figured out the EAX stuff late last night through old fashioned trial and error. Creative has to be the worst company on the planet when it comes to documentation about their products. I could only ever find marketing materials.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood