VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have bought a Roland SC55 not the mark 2 and it has the GS and General MIDI logos on the front and I need some help to get my soundcard to see it, my soundcard is a Soundblaster Vibra 16S CT2900 and it doesnt see my SC55 in the first game im trying to setup that is "Gabriel Knight 1" from the CD Version. I have a cable connected to the joystick/MIDI port of the SB 16S with a 15 pin adapter and then the output MIDI cable of the adapter I have plugged into my SC55's input port. I think I have a boot disk problem as I have tried a different sound card and it found my SC55 very well and I tried the 2 built in MIDI songs on the SC55 and all is working well. I dont have dos installed im using a boot disk made from windows 98se and I installed the software/drivers for the Vibra16S from Vogons Vintage Driver Library and I copied what was put into the C:\ autoexec.bat and config.sys into my boot disk, I have sound working well in Windows 98se. If I run Gabriel Knight 1 with just the soundcard it plays music and voice well.

My boot disk has
Autoexec.bat:

Set Sound=C:\Vibra16
Set Blaster=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
Set MIDI=Synth:1 MAP:E
C:\Vibra16\Diagnose /S
C:\Vibra16\Mixerset /P /Q
LH C:\mouse\mouse.com
LH A:\MSCDEX.exe /D:mscd001 /L:D
Set Path=C:\mouse;C:\windows\command;C:\windows

Config.sys:
Device=C:\Windows\himem.sys
Device=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe NOEMS
DEVICEHIGH=A:\OAKCDROM.sys /D:mscd001
DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\Vibra16\DRV\Vibra16.sys /unit=0 /Blaster=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
Device=C:\Vibra16\DRV\CTMMSYS.sys

In windows 98 I tried changing the default "use automatic settings" of input/output range 0388-038B to 0330-0331 and kept the I5 D1 H5 all settings had no conflicts
I have also tried changing "Set MIDI=Synth:1 MAP:E" to Set MIDI=Synth:2 MAP:E

The joystick port on the SB 16S is on and has input/output range of 0200-0207 in Windows

I have used "mixerset" in dos for the soundcard and made sure Input had Left-in Right-in MIDI selected and that the MIDI volume was high enough
and that "Line" had Left-in and Right-in selected and a high enough volume and I have an RCA to 3.5mm stereo plug connected the the SC55 and then into the line in of my soundcard.

I have seen on youtube videos that people use a "R" letter after a game run command I dont know what this is and my problems might be a soundcard issue as I asked a question a while back about my SB Vibra 16S and he/she said "the Creative card is probably the least desirable due to various chipset bugs on Creative products which cause problems with MIDI. Your card may be affected to a greater or lesser degree, the extent only truly being known by testing."

I also have a Roland SC55 with just GS (not a mark 2) and I have the same problem with this soundcard so I dont think its the SC55's.

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To start with I would plug the speakers direct to the Roland, 1 less thing to go wrong.
Assuming your blaster settings are correct select SB16 as your sound device and General Midi as your music device and select Port 330 if asked.
I recommend Duke 3D or Warcarft 2 to test with as it has sound settings you can test within setup, games like doom make you go in and out of the game.
If you don't get sound you can always try other IRQ's easy enough.

If you get music then it'll most likely be line in is muted, not tuned up or dodgy cable going back into the sound card.
If you don't get music it may be the Midi cable, My 1st one didn't work and frustrated me, but once I replaced that I was surprised how quickly everything worked!