VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a Roland UM-4 (also called Super MPU64) as the midi output device of my win9x gaming rig. It is an old 64-channel 8-port (4 in and 4 out) midi interface and works like a charm with my Roland SC-55ST, much better than the midi interface of my Audigy2 (my SC-55st got some problems when it plays midi through Audigy 2's midi interface, endless echo happens just like the hanging note bug, I'm considering the possibility that Audigy 2 might be somehow damaged, even it works well on EAX games without any trouble).

But I found an unknown problem that my Yamaha MU-100 can't do its duty well with my UM-4, seems only less than 16 channels are in use (UM-100 has 32 channels) and some of used channels will be silenced or dropped(?) during midi's play under XG mode with no reason, those once dropped channels cannot be activated automatically no matter how many midi music are played, unless I switch my MU-100 back to XG mode again (as "XG -> GM -> XG"). This problem doesn't occur when I play FF7 with XG mode or play Warcraft 2's GM midi tracks at all, but could be observed quite frequently in one of my Japanese SLG games (my SC-55st seems to be fine with this game)

So, I got some questions here:
1. Is that Roland UM-4(Super MPU64) a 16-channel x 4 ports stuff (only 16 channels available for each output)?
2. Could all MU-100's 32 channels be used if I upgrade into a more advanced midi interface (such as Yamaha UW500, only 1 pair of midi IN/OUT ports with max 32-channel inputs & 96-channel outputs)
3. Is there any report of incompatibility between Yamaha's and Roland's stuffs such as my combination?

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 2, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For MIDI modules with 32 channels, they normally have two MIDI IN ports. Each MIDI port supports up to 16 channels (as per the MIDI specifications), so if you want to use all 32 channels you need to use both MIDI IN ports at once.

Reply 2 of 2, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

For MIDI modules with 32 channels, they normally have two MIDI IN ports. Each MIDI port supports up to 16 channels (as per the MIDI specifications), so if you want to use all 32 channels you need to use both MIDI IN ports at once.

Thanks dude, thanks for ur information!

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!