VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, soon enough I'll have a PCI/AGP/ISA dual processor board (Tyan Tiger 133) to replace the single processor PCI/AGP board in my p3, which is fantastic- I can toss an AWE64 in and stop having to deal with odd SB Live! problems. However, an AWE64- naturally- doesn't have an OPL3, or support SB-Pro.

So, with that in mind, what would be the perfect ISA based card to use in this scenario? Bonus if cheap. Gist of it is- SB16/Pro support with OPL3.

Granted I have an MT-32, don't OPL2/3 supporting games also have support for that, so it's a non-issue?

Reply 2 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dual card is likely your best option given the feature set you're looking for. Later Aztech cards, Yamaha OPL3-SAx cards, CS4232 cards with true OPL3 (rare), and perhaps ESS (if you're okay with ESFM) will be single card options if you're okay with using WSS or Audiodrive support instead of SB16. For the Crusader games, though, you'll definitely want either a SB16 or an AWE.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A CT2230 SB16 seems like an obvious choice to me - SB16, non PnP, real OPL3, sounds really nice, easy to find and cheap. A CT2290 is just as good.

Also a PAS16 would rock - assuming this P3 is being used for late DOS games then there's a good chance they'll all support the PAS16 and therefore give you 16 bit + stereo. Your PSU needs to provide -5v tho.

Last edited by badmojo on 2017-05-26, 21:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

It's only got one ISA slot, dual card is nooot doable.

You can always get a Yamaha based PCI card for the FM... if the board doesn't support DDMA. If it does support DDMA or has a SB-LINK or PC-PCI header you can use it as your main card and possibly not worry about a specific ISA card. What is the exact model of the motherboard you are moving to?

The other option if you want more ISA slots is to make an external ISA extender box using a passive ISA backplane. You could have 20 ISA slots if you wanted.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

A CT2230 SB16 seems like an obvious choice to me - SB16, non PnP, real OPL3, sounds really nice, easy to find and cheap. A CT2290 is just as good.

Also a PAS16 would rock - assuming this P3 is being used for late DOS games then there's a good chance they'll all support the PAS16 and therefore give you 16 bit + stereo. Your PSU needs to provide -5v tho.

The PAS 16 also has problems with MIDI. Likely any of the options I listed earlier will be best as they provide 16 bit sound (either WSS or Audiodrive format), SB Pro, and unglitched MIDI. There are small differences in compatibility and sound. For Aztech, your best option is either the AZT2320 or AZT2316 based chipset. There are also interesting options like the GUS Extreme (with both GUS and ES1688 capability), but this is a very rare and expensive card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want a AWE64 with OPL3 then thats a AWE32,
But they do suffer hanging not bug so if that worries you were back with 2 cards, maybe you could use a PCI card for midi though?

Not all games support MT32, still may be a non issue, depends on which games you want to play