VOGONS

First post, by Atomizer_Zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a SC-55 connected to a vortex 2 via the gameport. In Windows using msdos, games like kings quest 5 and monkey island 1, for example, don't seem to be loading the midi data for the instruments. The SC-55 does actually work though, but obviously it sounds wrong. I've tried putting it in mt32 mode and no luck there. I thought perhaps it was running too fast, so I installed Dosbox and ran it with the cycles down to around 300 until it finished loading, but still no luck there. Now, in windows, if I play something like final fantasy 7, that works fine. If I boot into actual dos, monkey island works if I throttle the cpu by 75% (cpu is a pension 4 2.8Ghz. I know it's fast for dos games, but I like a challenge).

Im running the vortex 2 on the latest reference drivers. The card is a diamond monster mx300. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SC-55 does actually work though, but obviously it sounds wrong.

That's because the games you mentioned assume an MT-32, not a General MIDI device. Even in MT-32 mode, the SC-55 lacks programmability and will sound wrong with such games.