VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found out a tested and workable SB CT2490 on Yahoo Auction Japan. Seems all components are soldered on it with no empty spot (except its IDE controller), I think it is the rare type of CT2940 with OPL and wanna grab it for my upcoming dos gaming rig.

But there is no clear hi-res pics displayed in its description and I've never seen a real CT2940 before, honestly I'm not quite sure about that. So could u guys give me any idea bout this card?
Here is the link with pics: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v502626767

BTW, many posts and information show that ct2940 is one of the best SB16 with lowest noise if it is equipped with real OPL, but it is a PNP card and PNP sometimes equals to troubles. So is it fine for me to collect this card as my gears of dos gaming rig? I'm not quite confident on the PNP problem myself since my little knowledge on DOS. Is there any other thing I should take care with if I purchase it? (Hanging out bug may not be the problem since I got a Roland S-MPU-II AT for midi, even not tested yet)

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 5, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking at my true OPL 2940 right now (CT2943, not A2) and it looks identical. The YMF-289B-S chip is just to the right of the blue capacitor looking thing. The print on the OPL chip looks the same if you squint too. I believe the other 2940 with CQM is integrated into the main chip.

Also should mention that I have no problems with PNP or anything. You can use the card without initializing it in DOS on my SE440BX-2 system. It doesn't need diagnose; just SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6. There are no jumpers on mine.

Reply 2 of 5, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
duralisis wrote:

I'm looking at my true OPL 2940 right now (CT2943, not A2) and it looks identical. The YMF-289B-S chip is just to the right of the blue capacitor looking thing. The print on the OPL chip looks the same if you squint too. I believe the other 2940 with CQM is integrated into the main chip.

Also should mention that I have no problems with PNP or anything. You can use the card without initializing it in DOS on my SE440BX-2 system. It doesn't need diagnose; just SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6. There are no jumpers on mine.

Thank u very much for the valuable ideas, bro!! Do appreciate and trying to get this card!!! 😈 😈 😈

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 3 of 5, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's good.

duralisis wrote:

The YMF-289B-S chip is just to the right of the blue capacitor looking thing. The print on the OPL chip looks the same if you squint too. I believe the other 2940 with CQM is integrated into the main chip.

When they have the non-OPL FM chip, it's installed in that big open space directly above the main CT2502 chip.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 5, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is mine CT2940 with OPL3. Sorry, the photo was taken before I cleaned the card:

2017-02-15%2020.23.35.jpg
Filename
2017-02-15%2020.23.35.jpg
File size
2.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unlike yours, it has an IDE header and chips for the controller, but you can see that the OPL chip is in the same place. Yes, it sounds great, and yes, it does have a noticeable hanging note bug. Here are two of my CQM CT2940 for comparison — you can clearly see the blue capacitor and two chips missing:

Photo 7 Jan 2017, 203832.jpg
Filename
Photo 7 Jan 2017, 203832.jpg
File size
2.26 MiB
Views
File license
Photo 7 Jan 2017, 202011.jpg
Filename
Photo 7 Jan 2017, 202011.jpg
File size
2.06 MiB
Views
File license

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 5, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To jheronimus:
Thank u very much for the photos uploaded!! Now I can make the final decision to get that card!

I got a roland mpu401 isa card for midi, so hanging note bug is fine for me. The only problem left is: TSR will be used for roland mpu for the intelligent mode under dos. I don't know how many dos games will be effected by the TSR....

The NOOB of noobs!!