VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
I'm dropping this in here just to help anyone else who may be getting frustrated with the CT4780.. […]
Show full quote

I'm dropping this in here just to help anyone else who may be getting frustrated with the CT4780..

Apparently this Live! Value card isn't hardware compatible with any Creative applications. As crazy as it sounds, the only driver I could find available for the CT4780 is a WDM driver and neither AudioHQ, nor other Creative apps such as Surround Mixer, Player 3 or Recorder 2 works with the card - they all spit out som kind of 'unable to initialize driver' error.

Creative probably sold this card as some kind of OEM solution and appears to have excluded it from using its software suite as a result. It can probably load other Live! Value drivers through manual editing of the .inf files, though I did not have the time or patience to try that.

My main pursuit was to be able to load a decent sounding sound font, something that sounds better than the default Creative 2MB sound font at least, so that I could enjoy good MIDI for DOS games under WinME. I managed to get this done through some registry hacks and I thought I would share them with you.

The driver installation (the driver is attached below) sets the card up with the 2MB soundfont as I remarked earlier. This soundfont is placed in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. The other soundfonts can be loaded from any location but for the sake of simplicity I would advise copying them to the same folder and (my .reg files assume you did this).. However, there is one more caveat; Creative have in their infinite wisdom limited this card's max soundfont size to 4MB although in practice it's unlimited (i.e. 32MB).

Anyway, here's a linkto the soundfonts and the reg files that load each. To load a soundfont, run the relevant .reg file, reboot, go to Control Panel -> Sound, go to Audio Tab and select SB Live Soft Synth, hit Apply, then hit A: Sound Blaster MIDI and hit Apply. Now your SoundFont is loaded. If you want to revert to the original state, just run the 2MB Sound Font .reg file. This should in theory work for all SB Live! cards that can't load AudioHQ. It's a PITA but onces you get it to load the 8MB SF then you should be good for most games IMO. Hope this helps someone some day.

Do you still have the "link" or info on the registry keys. I'm gathering as much info as I can. Thanks.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 21 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Do you still have the "link" or info on the registry keys. I'm gathering as much info as I can. Thanks.

EDIT: It appears I used this driver CD Image for this card, and it actually has an arbitrary 12MB SF2 file size limit that can be edited to whatever size you want in the Registry. The relevant registry keys, I don't seem to have off hand, but I will look into it tonight.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 24, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2018-03-27, 06:07:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

EDIT: It appears I used this driver CD Image for this card, and it actually has an arbitrary 12MB SF2 file size limit that can be edited to whatever size you want in the Registry. The relevant registry keys, I don't seem to have off hand, but I will look into it tonight.

Which keys I should to edit?

Reply 23 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
serenitatis wrote on 2023-03-10, 07:57:
appiah4 wrote on 2018-03-27, 06:07:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Which keys I should to edit?

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Creative Tech\Devcon\Default","SFCacheSize",0,"12582912"

Change that to 33554432 for 32MB or 67.108.864 for 64MB

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.