VOGONS

First post, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I have a Sound Blaster 16 CT2890 in my machine that works fantastic for digital sound and FM, but I am also on the lookout for a PCI card to complement it for wavetable MIDI in pure DOS. So far, I've tried the Sound Blaster 16 PCI, SB Live, and YMF724 based card with no success. The SB cards freeze the machine and insist on emulating a whole Sound Blaster (all I need is a MIDI interface) and the YMF724 doesn't have a method in DOS to upload sample RAM.

What else should I try? Ordinarily, I'd consider either another ISA card or an AWE32, but I've only got one ISA slot and the case is too small (micro ATX).

Thanks~

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 1 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not aware of a direct solution to your problem. Even finding a PCI card that supports MIDI out in DOS restricts you to a subset of those with DOS PCM drivers.

The Dreamblaster X2 board from Serdaco allows you to change sample sets via the USB interface. At present, the sets must be in a proprietary format, but conceivably a translator program could be created for SF2 banks. An external computer can also be used as a sample based synth (via FluidSynth, BassMIDI, the Roland VSTI plugin, the Yamaha VSTI plugin, etc) thus providing great flexibility in the sound of your MIDI tracks while costing some complexity.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 6, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These sound like fun options to explore. I was a bit apprehensive about investing in a Dreamblaster with the buggy DSP, and it would be really great to have a single machine solution.

But, it seems I may not be able to have everything I want 😀

The Dreamblaster X2 seems to have a really nice sample set. Also super fond of Roland and Yamaha. It might be a fun project to convert those to whatever proprietary format is needed. Been looking for a coding project...

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other option is to add ISA slots via a passive ISA backplane.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to clarify, is your current DOS computer the P4 board in your sig? If so, Vortex 2 based cards often feature a WB header and are very handy if you also want to run Win98. Some ESS PCI cards have the header which may or may not be populated, although I'm not completely clear on whether DOS MIDI support extended beyond the Solo-1 cards, nor are they particularly handy for Win98 gaming.

Reply 5 of 6, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Just to clarify, is your current DOS computer the P4 board in your sig? If so, Vortex 2 based cards often feature a WB header and are very handy if you also want to run Win98. Some ESS PCI cards have the header which may or may not be populated, although I'm not completely clear on whether DOS MIDI support extended beyond the Solo-1 cards, nor are they particularly handy for Win98 gaming.

Indeed, it is! I'll give one of those a try. Win98 isn't being run on this box- that's a project for another time.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 6 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, that'll give you unglitched MIDI at least. Or you can look at one of the options from the single sound card thread.