VOGONS

First post, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Need a bit help / advice concerning my build.

Not too long ago I got into retro machines, I was looking to build an all-round Win98SE system to occasionally play some pure MS-DOS games.

I rescued the following system from trash (except the Voodoo II):

P IV 1.7 Ghz
256 MB RAM
160 GB HD
Geforce 3 TI 200 64 MB
Diamond Voodoo II 8 MB
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI (took from DELL machine)

Everything working great under Win98SE, however I do not have the DOS drivers for the PCI Santa Cruz soundcard. Currently this Win98SE driver is installed: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Dri … driverId=R37728 .

I downloaded the DOS driver from another topic on here but upon running this in DOS it's telling me the configuration file is missing??.

Anyone has an idea how I can get this card working in MS-DOS ?

Otherwise I was looking for this card Diamond Sonic Impact S90 Aureal Vortex AU8820 PCI but would be great if I can use the Santa Cruz.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 1, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great card!

Getting DOS to work is really easy. AFAIK there are no separate DOS drivers.

All you do is double click on that tray icon. It opens the TB control panel. In one tab, not sure the name, somewhere on the right side, there are some options. One is a tick-box for DOS support. Just tick it and wait. It will find a new device and install drivers. I will also install DOS drivers into DOSSTART.BAT which means if you shut down into MS-DOS mode it should work.

My latest MS-DOS Super Easy shortcut will also process DOSSTART.BAT 😀

Run SET to see what resources it ended up using, sometimes it gets funny ones like DMA 3, then you might have to muck around a bit with the resources. The card is Sound Blaster Pro 2 compatible, not sure about MIDI I haven't tried that yet.

YouTube, Facebook, Website