VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, I've been extremely depressed recently and far away from this forum for a week, because Juventus lost the final in UEFA Champions League, Damn it!!!!!! (plus I lost 100 USD two days later.....!!!!)

But life keeps going on, and I have to do something... so I grab three pieces of retro HWs from Yahoo Auction Japan (and I "lost" around another 100 USD more).....

First of all, I grab two SB 16 cards, a CT2940 and a CT2950, both with true OPL. CT2940 is a tested card costing me 20 usd, and CT2950 is a untested card but just in 8 USD. Both of the cards are great on the noise level AFAIK but having hanging note bug. Both are PNP cards without any jumper on them, so could some tell me how to handle those cards under DOS, I'm not very knowledgeable on DOS system...

The last thing I got is a Roland SC D70 (without any accessory), costing me 80 USD (and I'm bankrupting now)... I've ever used such kind of designed-for-PC midi device before, so does D70 can be used for win9x~win10? What kind of software should I have to configure it (since not many buttons on its front panel)? And how to used it under windows OS, especially for retro games?

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 2 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

Oh, congrats on finding a CT2950 with an OPL. I've only ever seen one in a photo and never for sale.

Oh really? I've seen three CT2950s on yahoo auction japan recently, two are sold already, including mine. Still one left there but a little bit expensive, around 30 USD.

These are the cards I got:

CT2950

CT2950.jpg
Filename
CT2950.jpg
File size
30.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

CT2940

CT2940.jpg
Filename
CT2940.jpg
File size
32.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 3 of 9, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, forwarding that stuff from over there is going to double the price pretty quickly. They're really not worth a fortune, yet anyway.

I can't quite read the mixer chip, but looks like one of the newer revisions that also went on early AWE64's. The DAC related chip there is more important to SNR, but that's a given by 1995 as they were already up to this final version on any board they put out. Should be good sound quality as the final configuration before Vibra chipsets. (And then that CT2940 is the very best example of a Vibra SB16.) Still has the bugs that SB16/AWE32's have, but sort of an interesting item.

Installing and configuring sound cards and CD drives is always a little bit more involved than in Windows, but nothing too special happening here. A DOS/Win 3.1x installation package is still available on Creative's website, "Sound Blaster 16/SB32/AWE32 Basic Disk for DOS/Windows 3.1 Installation" filename sbbasic.exe. Direct URL's are a little silly with their web platform, but Google will get you there. The CT2940 is PnP, but it doesn't even require initialization once it's been set up, which is pretty neat.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason they're common in Japan is that a variety of Pentium systems by Fujitsu and others came with them by default.

You can probably buy a complete working system for less than the price of one of those cards...

Reply 6 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:

What do you mean you lost money?
As in losing money by paying?

Just losing my money without any reason. The money has just gone..... I didn't spend it and neither know the reason why it's gone.....

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 7 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

The reason they're common in Japan is that a variety of Pentium systems by Fujitsu and others came with them by default.

You can probably buy a complete working system for less than the price of one of those cards...

Yes, maybe u r right. But I've seen many of them without OPL chips on, The ones with true OPL are really uncommon IMO.

I've also seen some cheap Fujitsu or Sharp pentium rigs here, but most of them are quite odd in their layouts and output ports, especially like the NEC PC-98 series. Those less than 30 USD rigs are usually sold as uncheck & untested "JUNK GOODS" without any guarantee and lack of their special accessories. I don't wanna risk myself too much on weird rigs I am not familiar with. The tested workable ones are normally very expensive (over 150~200 USD). Besides, most of them are integrated with some useless graphic chips (ATI rage/NV riva 128) or with a quite small graphic ram (1MB or 2MB), working under some kinds of special japanese-text based system, not much room to choose ur owned things urself.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 8 of 9, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

Yeah, forwarding that stuff from over there is going to double the price pretty quickly. They're really not worth a fortune, yet anyway.

I can't quite read the mixer chip, but looks like one of the newer revisions that also went on early AWE64's. The DAC related chip there is more important to SNR, but that's a given by 1995 as they were already up to this final version on any board they put out. Should be good sound quality as the final configuration before Vibra chipsets. (And then that CT2940 is the very best example of a Vibra SB16.) Still has the bugs that SB16/AWE32's have, but sort of an interesting item.

Installing and configuring sound cards and CD drives is always a little bit more involved than in Windows, but nothing too special happening here. A DOS/Win 3.1x installation package is still available on Creative's website, "Sound Blaster 16/SB32/AWE32 Basic Disk for DOS/Windows 3.1 Installation" filename sbbasic.exe. Direct URL's are a little silly with their web platform, but Google will get you there. The CT2940 is PnP, but it doesn't even require initialization once it's been set up, which is pretty neat.

Thanks for ur nice reply. Thinking of uploading some hi res pics later.

BTW, how can I initialize CT2950? What should I write in autoexe.bat? Some nice guy told me that for CT2940, just "SET BLASTER=A220 XX XX XX XX" and it will be fine. I played those dos games when I was a 11 years old kid and didn't know how to configure hardwares manullay at all under DOS... even now, it is the same for me, because u don't need to configure DOSbox too much, it's all emulated perfectly....

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 9 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Saotome Ranma wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Yes, maybe u r right. But I've seen many of them without OPL chips on, The ones with true OPL are really uncommon IMO.

I've also seen some cheap Fujitsu or Sharp pentium rigs here, but most of them are quite odd in their layouts and output ports, especially like the NEC PC-98 series.

NEC PC-98 are not compatible with regular x86 systems, it's like an alternate branch of the x86 tree. AFAIK, up to the Pentium era most Japanese manufacturers had their proprietary systems that in general had no or limited compatibility with the rest of the world's x86-based systems.
So you had Sharp with their x68000 systems, NEC with their PC-88 and later PC-98 systems, Fujitsu with their FM-R range, etc. Each of those use either a proprietary OS or their own version of MS-DOS/Windows that is not compatible with x86 MS-DOS/Windows. It started to change with the introduction of Windows 95 and its greater abstraction from the underlying hardware.

If I lived in Japan I'd go nuts with all of the really odd and interesting proprietary systems that exist there. 🤣

x86-compatible systems are listed in separate categories ("PC hardware -> Windows", IIRC) than the proprietary ones, and type numbers can be googled with ease, as there are sites listing all the specs for systems ranging back to the mid-1990s.

Those less than 30 USD rigs are usually sold as uncheck & untested "JUNK GOODS" without any guarantee and lack of their special accessories. I don't wanna risk myself too much on weird rigs I am not familiar with.

"junk" in Japanese auctions doesn't mean the same thing as "junk" in the West, it simply means "I don't know what this is, it may work, but I won't accept any responsibility if something doesn't work as advertised", i.e. simply sellers who are not experts on the items they sell like you also find on Ebay. I've bought items listed as "junk" that were absolutely pristine, and in general real junk is pretty hard to find on Y! Auctions Japan (if you skip the obviously rusted/dirty/muddy/broken crap). Japanese sellers usually are much more honest in describing their ware than US and European sellers. I've been screwed over more often on Ebay than via Y! Auctions Japan, despite buying way less from Ebay...

The tested workable ones are normally very expensive (over 150~200 USD). Besides, most of them are integrated with some useless graphic chips (ATI rage/NV riva 128) or with a quite small graphic ram (1MB or 2MB), working under some kinds of special japanese-text based system, not much room to choose ur owned things urself.

I think you should put some more time in researching stuff, because this is simply quite untrue, unless you speak of 1980s and early 1990s systems (and even then...take your time, research, and you'll find gems, like on Ebay 15 years ago...).