VOGONS

First post, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got my X2 in the other day, and I can confirm it works perfectly inside my Korg NS5R.
Makes a very nice combo as the Korg has internal channel splitting, so you can send some channels
to the Dreamblaster and some to the Korg chips. There is even a handy volume knob to
adjust the Dreamblaster's volume for easy mixing.

Sound wise, while the Korg is a rather noisy module, it doesn't seem to affect the DB's super
clean sound. I couldn't tell the difference when hooked up to the Korg or via a direct USB connection
to my computer.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK it's only a matter of connecting the X2 to the wavetable header inside the NS5R
having 2 engines producing sounds could lead to great results!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 12, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the NS5R/NX5R have the wavetable header inside.
But, you have to be careful as the internal PSU is a bit on the weak side.
You can find old forum posts of people overheating and burning out their
units due to daughterboards that draw more power then the PSU can handle.

To install just have to undo the 12 or so screws and open the cover.
In order to send MIDI data to the header though, you need setup the ports.
If you have never used the NS5R before, I can tell you it's a confusing mess of options.
The manual also does a really poor job of explaining it.

You need to go to this screen, then setup each channel.
A = Korg
B = MIDI Out
C = wavetable header

2rzcb5h.jpg

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 4 of 12, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great thread... I've just ordered a second hand NX5R and I already have a Dreamblaster S2... 2 questions:

1) Will adding this to my NX5R do any damage (based on the power issue described above) or would it even work....
2) What are the real advantages of adding one of these in? It obviously wouldn't give me 'XG' support would it? For that, I assume I'd need the actual Yamaha daughterboard (DB51X?)

Thanks guys

Reply 5 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

afaik the NX5R has the yamaha board already installed, that's what differentiates the NX5R from the NS5R in the first place.

so to use a dreamblaster you'd have to remove that, rather save the dreamblaster for something else? ^^

Reply 6 of 12, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-06-05, 10:40:

afaik the NX5R has the yamaha board already installed, that's what differentiates the NX5R from the NS5R in the first place.

so to use a dreamblaster you'd have to remove that, rather save the dreamblaster for something else? ^^

Well that's what I thought, but the one I just bought doesn't have anything inside according to the seller....

Attachments

Reply 7 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

someone probably bought it to nick the wavetable board and resell it again then 😒 that's unfortunate, I hope you didn't pay that much for it :x

but yeah, in that case you can just put the dreamblaster in I guess, the NX5R should already be set up properly for it I assume.

Reply 9 of 12, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2017-06-12, 10:59:
Yes, the NS5R/NX5R have the wavetable header inside. But, you have to be careful as the internal PSU is a bit on the weak side. […]
Show full quote

Yes, the NS5R/NX5R have the wavetable header inside.
But, you have to be careful as the internal PSU is a bit on the weak side.
You can find old forum posts of people overheating and burning out their
units due to daughterboards that draw more power then the PSU can handle.

To install just have to undo the 12 or so screws and open the cover.
In order to send MIDI data to the header though, you need setup the ports.
If you have never used the NS5R before, I can tell you it's a confusing mess of options.
The manual also does a really poor job of explaining it.

You need to go to this screen, then setup each channel.
A = Korg
B = MIDI Out
C = wavetable header

2rzcb5h.jpg

Please update this image how to setup Korg as I bought one and can't setup it to work with DB WT

Reply 11 of 12, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Retroit wrote on 2021-02-18, 13:56:

Please update this image how to setup Korg as I bought one and can't setup it to work with DB WT

To switch to the WT channel goes as follows

Press the Edit/Enter Key to get to the edit menu and select Part Edit

zXvfkvBl.jpg

Then Select Common

kxeid00l.jpg

Then press the Part/Page > key 3 times i think to get to the Midi To Port Screen. Using the jog dial change all the channels to C. The WT board will then work. (Make sure to turn up the volume dial on the back of the unit.

uTUzx3ql.jpg

Reply 12 of 12, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2021-02-18, 16:03:
To switch to the WT channel goes as follows […]
Show full quote
Retroit wrote on 2021-02-18, 13:56:

To switch to the WT channel goes as follows

Press the Edit/Enter Key to get to the edit menu and select Part Edit

zXvfkvBl.jpg

Then Select Common

kxeid00l.jpg

Then press the Part/Page > key 3 times i think to get to the Midi To Port Screen. Using the jog dial change all the channels to C. The WT board will then work. (Make sure to turn up the volume dial on the back of the unit.

uTUzx3ql.jpg

Thank you for update images