VOGONS

Need Help on Choosing Roland SC-55

Topic actions

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found out 2 Roland SC-55s here, and neither of them is labeled with any "General MIDI" logo at all on their front panels, which means they belong to the first lot of SC-55 product lines without GM compatibilities.

So here is the questions:

1. Is it worthy of taking one of them into my new collections? I'm quite confused since I've already got SC-D70, SC-88, SC-55ST, CM-300, and CM-500 of Roland series, and MU-100, MU-500 of Yamaha series.... I think I should focus on other devices such as MT-32/MT-100, CM-32/CM-64, SC-8850/Edirol SD-90 and MU-2000EX, but still quite curious on these special SC-55s...

2. Even both of them has no GM logos, their GS logos are not quite the same. One is written as "GS Standard", another is "GS" only (see attached pics I googled for reference). So is there any difference between those two SC-55s? Which one is better (or a must-have) as a retro collection?

Thanks a lot if some advice could be given by you experienced guys here.

PS: 1. SC-55 with "GS" only logo

roland-sc-55.jpg
Filename
roland-sc-55.jpg
File size
39.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

2. SC-55 with "GS Standard" logo

roland-sc-552.jpg
Filename
roland-sc-552.jpg
File size
22.49 KiB
Views
File license

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 2 of 28, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

Thank u, dude!!

So, generally speaking, there are no real difference between those two "GS only" SC-55s, and they are a kind of "must-have" for retro games if I want to have some of games' bgms played 100% accurately, right?

Seems things become much more complicated than what I thought.....

Last edited by Saotome Ranma on 2017-06-22, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 3 of 28, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The earliest Roland SC-55s simply have a "GS STANDARD" logo on the bottom of the front panel, while slightly later SC-55s have a "GS" logo.  Modules with the GS logo may still be

"may still be" what??? Seems the last part of that sentence is gone......

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 4 of 28, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Saotome Ranma wrote:

So, generally speaking, there are no real difference between those two "GS only" SC-55s, and they are a kind of "must-have" for retro games if I want to have some of games' bgms played 100% accurately, right?

Generally, Yes. DOS Games => SC-55.
I would go for SC-55 MKII because it has bug fixes and better DACs if you can find one in your region, should be plenty in Japan.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 5 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Saotome Ranma wrote:

The earliest Roland SC-55s simply have a "GS STANDARD" logo on the bottom of the front panel, while slightly later SC-55s have a "GS" logo.  Modules with the GS logo may still be

http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail10.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 28, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:
Saotome Ranma wrote:

Generally, Yes. DOS Games => SC-55.
I would go for SC-55 MKII because it has bug fixes and better DACs if you can find one in your region, should be plenty in Japan.

Thanks, dude! Helped me a lot!! Do appreciate it!

Yep, plenty of SC-55 MKII but they are much more expensive than SC-55 here (like 70~90 USD vs 30~50 USD), and now I've known the reasons why they are much expensive even SC-55 are much proper for retro games....

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 7 of 28, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Considering what you already have, I see very little reason to buy another 55. Unless you are using a really good amp and speakers with very specific games, I highly doubt you will notice a difference between these and the CM-300.

Save your money and save up for an X68000. 😀

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 9 of 28, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and you have the 55ST already which is a half size 55-MKII.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 28, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

Ah yes, the CM-300 will sound like the SC-55.

+1

I have a CM-500 (which has a CM-300 inside) and testing it out side-by-side with my SC-55, I can't tell any real difference.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 11 of 28, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Saotome Ranma wrote:
Nerdly Pleasures Blog wrote:

"may still be General MIDI compatible."

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 12 of 28, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe there are workarounds/fixes for most but maybe not all of the select early 90s games that do not play properly on an MKII. If you want an SC-55 model that 'just works' with everything you'll want a GS (no General Midi, no GS Standard) model that has a 1.20 or 1.21 firmware. These have BD, CD or DD serial #s. When I bought mine on e-bay I asked the seller to check the firmware version for me beforehand ...

SC-55/55MKII : Press the POWER button to make the STANDBY light come on. While holding both
INSTRUMENT buttons, press both MIDI CH buttons

Reply 13 of 28, by holaplaneta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote on 2017-06-22, 19:25:

What´s the latest version of the SC-55 MKII rom? The one to try to get I suppose.

Thanks!

Reply 14 of 28, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know, the "newest" rom of the SC-55 mkII is 1.01

Attachments

• IMG_20200220_023122.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200220_023122.jpg
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 15 of 28, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote on 2017-06-27, 00:06:

I believe there are workarounds/fixes for most but maybe not all of the select early 90s games that do not play properly on an MKII. If you want an SC-55 model that 'just works' with everything you'll want a GS (no General Midi, no GS Standard) model that has a 1.20 or 1.21 firmware. These have BD, CD or DD serial #s. When I bought mine on e-bay I asked the seller to check the firmware version for me beforehand ...

SC-55/55MKII : Press the POWER button to make the STANDBY light come on. While holding both
INSTRUMENT buttons, press both MIDI CH buttons

My 1.20 unit has serial AC94400. However, it does have a 'GS' face plate. From (lots of) reading I've concluded that 'GS' models can have too old, too new, and 'just right' firmware. However, it seems the serial doesn't say much.

Reply 18 of 28, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the Mk.II, the ROM version doesn't matter. It's only important for the Mk.I, because only 1.20/1.21 still has capital-tone fallback (later ones don't) and is GM compliant (earlier versions aren't).

Reply 19 of 28, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-21, 16:36:

For the Mk.II, the ROM version doesn't matter. It's only important for the Mk.I, because only 1.20/1.21 still has capital-tone fallback (later ones don't)...

This is incorrect. All "SC-55" units proper, regardless of whether the ROM version is 1.xx or 2.xx, support capital-tone fallback.