VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I recently found this thing:
YoG2D3kh.jpg

It seems to have an ES1868F audio chip as well as a wavetable, rom and an IDE interface.

I ID'd the card as a Behavior Tech Computer Corporation Sound Card 1859, but can't find anything about it or it's midi capabilities. Has anyone seen one of these before?

Reply 4 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Any idea if it's GM compatible?

Aren't all Wavetable devices GM compatible? I'm not trying to be a jerk with this question - curious to know myself.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
badmojo wrote:

That's a nice card:

My Wavetable Sample Thread

Thanks for the link! Any idea if it's GM compatible?

You can see this card as a 2 in 1 card, a sound card with a "dumb" wavetable module embedded. The good news is that you don't need any drivers for the wavetable part, just select GM and the default port 330 in your game and you're ready to go. You may need to tweak the mixer settings if the input from the wavetable part is muted.

badmojo wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Any idea if it's GM compatible?

Aren't all Wavetable devices GM compatible? I'm not trying to be a jerk with this question - curious to know myself.

Most are, but some that aren't can be tuned in to GM compatibility with drivers and sound/instrument banks like the AWE32 and GUS(?).

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AWE32 is well aligned with GM in that it provides banks of sample based instruments for playback. The only reason it isn't GM compatible out of the box is because Creative cheaped out on including microcontroller capability for the second MPU-401 interface. GUS is a different beast, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible to get GM compatibility with a GUS card some way?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 8, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Is it possible to get GM compatibility with a GUS card some way?

The included patch set includes a full GM instrument set, and the instruments are mapped to the correct program numbers by default, so it is GM compatible in that way. If you are referring to MPU-401 compatibility, there is MegaEM and SBOS that they include to provide a software translation layer. However, sound quality isn't always great, since instruments tend to be substituted, depending on the amount of RAM on the card. Also, those two can be a little fiddly to get working at times.