VOGONS

First post, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I came across this before at my local recycling center, and it's still there a long time later. It looks like some sort of extension and daughter board was attached to it. Higher quality audio output, perhaps? I noticed also the plugs for the modded IN and OUT are different, dunno what they are.

http://imgur.com/a/F0v25

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird... some add-on board that has optical and coax digital output/input. Looks like the added ports are mini-xlr in/out.

If it were me, I would get it. That's a pretty sweet mod.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to my Live! manual there was an add-on board that added those connectors and attached to the case with its own slot cover. Here it looks like someone build their own bracket to attach the add-on internally instead.

Reply 3 of 7, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Likely a DAC upgrade and likely balanced XLR I/O using some micro-sized connector. Hoontech marketed breakout boards for the SB-Live! expansion connector.

http://www.hoontech.de/produkte/sbdb3.html

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are AES/EBU connectors. They are logically similar to SPDIF but are electrically balanced.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah it looks like the add-on card is supposed to normally take up another card slot to provide the digital I/O (AES/EBU, optical and coax S/PDIF) that is normally found on the Audigy drive bay thingy, but they modified it so that the AES/EBU I/O is routed up to mini XLR connectors attached to the card's I/O bracket, so the whole thing only takes up one card slot. My hat's off to the modder.

Reply 6 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really question why they did it, though. It's not like using an SB Live card with Cubase is ever going to be very good compared to a Hammerfall, for instance.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I might just grab it then, if anything just for the modding job. Maybe they modded it like that to save an IO slot? Who knows. I don't have the proper connectors for it but those shouldn't be too hard to find.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro