VOGONS

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using an ISA SB16 in my super socket 7 system, but after seeing the Phil's Computer Lab video on sound cards for SS7, I went and got an Audigy on ebay. The exact model is SB0090. Searching Creative's website for drivers, the best VXD driver I could find in an update for users who already installed the original CD. (Which I don't have.) So, I extracted the exe, and found an inf file, so I used that in device manager to install the vxd driver. Sound in Windows apps work find.

If I open COMMAND.COM, I no longer have a BLASTER variable set, and no dos apps in a dos window will recognize the sound card. When I search online, I do find references to users trying to get DOSDRV working, but having an error message saying they need the VXD drivers. I have the VXD drivers installed, I think I just need to find the DOSDRV, which I suppose is a TSR I run in the DOS prompt window giving SB DOS emulation within Windows. I remember doing something similar when I used to have an Aureal Vortex card years ago.

I also still have IRQ 5 rand DMA 1 and 3 reserved in the BIOS, because I needed that when I was using an ISA card, and I heard I need it free for SB Emulation. (And I remember that being the case back when I had an Aureal card.)

Does anyone know where this DOSDRV is available online?

I know PCI is not recommened for DOS gaming, but I'm in DOS under the Windows 9x, so the Windows drivers should work, somehow.

If this becomes too much of a rabbit hole, I'll put the ISA card back in, since it worked pretty much fine. I just wanted to eeek out some more performance from this old machine.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it can be fiound on the driver CD, or in the worst case use it to do a complete installation. It's available on VogonsDrivers: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=397

Edit: It doesn't look to have a separate directory for DOS drivers. I haven't seen any supposed earlier disc revision that would.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 5, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking around a bit more, I came across this spot: ftp://ftp.wsisiz.edu.pl/pub/pc/drivers/creati … DOSDRV/ENGLISH/

Looks like they have the entire disc (year 2001 OEM) there for browsing.

I'm getting a ton of malware warnings with their other files, though. The executables under \Audio\English\SETUP\Bitmaps\ and \Audio\Deutsch\SETUP\Bitmaps\ trip 14/62 scanners including Windows Defender.

Attachments

• Filename
    Audigy DOSDRV.zip
    File size
    1022.54 KiB
    Downloads
    392 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 5, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also found SB16.inf, and installed it, and found instructions online for enabling a 'SB16Emulation' registry setting, which the installer is supposed to set but the windows-installed inf files do not. I still couldn't get SB16 emulation to work without a yellow exclamation mark.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the full ISO, and ran the installer. It of course installed the WDM drivers and put a bunch of CRAP in my system tray that makes it take 2x longer to startup, and plays some annoying Creative Labs logo animation when it starts up. I hate this CRAP they insist on putting on your computer, even when unchecked all this crap.

I'll try switch to VXD, and clean up the machine. Hopefully the installer did some magic that makes SB16 emulation work with VXD drivers. If not, then I'll put the original CF card image back in. Right before this, I decided to upgrade to a larger CF card for the C drive, and put a full image on my main desktop PC. I can put the ISA card back in, and rewrite the CF card, and I'll be back to where I was before I put this extra card in. We'll see if I can get it going. Thanks for the link!

Reply 4 of 5, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I gave up on that. With the WDM drivers, Win 9x games played fine. Some DOS apps ran with the sound, some didn't, and some stuttered, like how DOSBOX does when you give it more cycles than your computer can handle. The VxD drivers worked, but I never got DOS-under-windows emulation working right.

I also got EAX working, and Descent 3, which I remembered sounding really awesome when I had an A3D card, sounded great. But the framerate was in the toilet. Also, when Windows starts up, that 'microsoft sound' stutters on the PCI card, but the old ISA card doesn't. I also got a couple bluescreens. Bleh. This machine has been stable in its previous configuration for years, I should have known better than to mess with it. I dd'd the boot CF card back to its previous configuration, and went back to the ISA Sound Blaster 16. It's back to being a stable gaming machine, and its a little dissapointing that I couldnt' get good performance and 3d audio out of this. But I think for Super Socket 7, sticking to a basic ISA card is the best for compatibily, stability and basic stereo headphone performance.

I might try this card in my modern PC (I have a AM3+ PC that has a PCI slot) and see if its better than what came on the motherboard.

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I don't have an Audigy, I do have Audigy 2 ZS and an original Live Value. so either side of your card.
Both cards just work in a windows dosbox, Device manager shows Legacy sound device or something similar and that's the resources to tell your games to use.
You don't have to install all the bloat creative package Its just a matter of finding the right combination of what needs installing for what you want, as some things do seem to depend on other seemingly unrelated options.

If its true dos. Once you have a working setup, you can just copy the files somewhere, install the base windows version without bloat, and copy the files back and add the lines back into autoexec/config.sys That's what I used to do with the ZS before I lost the drivers all together, and haven't bothered since.