VOGONS

First post, by gibant1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, After deciding to get in to retro gaming, I went in to the cupboard where I'd stored my cm32L, mpu401 etc. Nothing there.... Asked the wife where the stuff had gone and got the reply "we've been married 5 years and you've never been near that stuff so I through it away as I needed some room".

I'm welling up as I type 🤣.

With this news I went on a buying spree and bought the following

Roland CM32P (realise this was a mistake now)
Roland SC-7
Roland CM32L
Roland 8820

Which do I need to keep?

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh my... so sad that good stuff got binned

- CM-32P : not needed in the gaming PC world
- SC-7 : it's a great GM synth and a subset of the SC-55mk2 AFAIK , the SC-8820 includes SC-55 mode though
- CM-32L : a keeper, no further comments needed really
- SC-8820: this one is also a keeper, it includes SC-55/SC-88/SC-88pro maps , the SC-55 map is really useful for all your DOS GM/GS needs. Be sure to use MIDI Input #1 for the maps to work OK

so you can sell the 32P and the SC-7 IMHO - keep the rest of LA/GS+GM stuff

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel your pain....
Glad you found a few good MIDI modules to replace the lost ones. And I agree with Keropi's advice (he knows his stuff). The CM-32L and SC-7 would be good to keep for DOS gaming purposes. The SC-8820 is nice too.
I bought an SC-8850 a while ago and two days ago my SD-90 arrived. Already had quite a number of classic Roland modules. Anyone looking for an SC-88 or an SC-7 can drop me a PM. I might even part with one of my MT-32 modules.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 4 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What Keropi said, although you can use the CM-32P as a gateway drug into Japanese home market PCs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ better avoid this gateway since the toll is too high 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website