VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a giant box of sound cards recently. Lots of 2xxx and 4xxx series sound blasters, and then some of these that I can't identify...

one has an ESS chipset that seems to have OK OPL3 from what i've read, and one has an XG chip, which i have zero experience with.

are all of these "value" boards? anything worth keeping?

f2vsq8Rl.jpg
0ftob38l.jpg
CqgitA6l.jpg
a9lE8vIl.jpg
N5w6HBvl.jpg
pIAeLYNl.jpg
Urm4lZHl.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends on your definition of value. 😉
ISA cards are generally becoming scarce. The XG card is interesting, though.
I heard it sounds similar to SYXG-50 softh synth or so.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "XG" card uses a Yamaha YMF724 chipset. This is one of the few cards with a genuine OPL3 core that can output SPDIF, so definitely a keeper. The Audiodrive and YMF719 (red) based cards are one's I'd keep as well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 5, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These OPTIs are a bit strange. Aren't they supposed to have opl3 clones? Besides the 931 that has it built in of course...
As someone else already said: ISA cards are becomming scarce... I generally pick up all of them.

Reply 5 of 5, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ones with an Analog Devices chip are most likely Windows Sound System compatible. They'll be basically an alternative standard to SB - they still use OPLs for FM though. (Note some WSS cards broke the standard and could appear in arbitrary locations, and added SB compat.)

The Yamahas I hear are quite nice - they're your typical WSS deviant, but basically guaranteed real OPL IIRC.

The OPTIs are OK as a basic card for low end machines and business/workstation usage, though drivers past 9x/NT 4 are a massive PITA. Crystal is similar but I'm unsure about drivers and such. ESS is also similar, but the driver story is much better. (I myself am interested in the ESS based ones; I've got an OPTI 933 that's a very bad choice for 2000.)

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98