VOGONS

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old 486 that has had a Jazz 16 (AKA PAS16) in it for years. All my DOS games had working sound. I recently turned on this machine to play DOOM, and had no sound. All my other games work, every one, except DOOM, and anything DOOM-engine based, like Hexen. Quake works, but of course Quake is a slideshow on a 486. I can't find any game that doesn't work, except for DOOM. This is really odd, since I think it used to work, since I don't remember having anything other than a PAS in this machine. I fixed the problem by putting in an old SB16 I had laying around, but its kind of just irritating the heck out of my that for no reason sound on one game stopped working on one sound card.

Does DOOM have known sound card compatibility issues? I've googled, and I get many people claiming PAS16 works fine with DOOM, and handful saying they never got it work.

The only thing I can think of is a couple years back I changed from 486-100 to 486-133, and it may have actually been that long since I've fired up DOOM.

Reply 3 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Jazz16 isn't PAS16 compatible - both are Mediavision chipsets, but different sound standards. The Jazz16 will do Sound Blaster Pro though, so try the 'Sound Blaster' option in DOOM.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like my Jazz, but I wish there was a way of defeating the line out amplifier short of hacking up the board.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 8, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CTMMSYS.SYS ? Haven't seen that one. I tried both jazz16.sys and pros.sys. Are these all just the same driver renamed for different branding? On my card there is a chip labeled jazz16, the the fcc id was something like ixw-jazz16s.

Reply 8 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carangil wrote:

CTMMSYS.SYS ? Haven't seen that one. I tried both jazz16.sys and pros.sys. Are these all just the same driver renamed for different branding? On my card there is a chip labeled jazz16, the the fcc id was something like ixw-jazz16s.

Are you still selecting Pro Audio Spectrum 16 in the DOOM setup? It aint going to work with a Jazz regardless of what drivers you try.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.