VOGONS

First post, by OldNice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased the awesome Roland SC-D70, and was frustrated by the lack of SC Map selection on the front panel. I spent about a week researching how the midi standard works and how the Roland Sound Canvas works, and one evening to modify Tom's Midi Player to allow for the custom SC map selection. It sets the map on song start, every time a song attempts to change the map, and on Sysex events (Lazy fix for GS reset). This should work for every Sound Canvas, but setting a Map which your device does not have gives unknown results.

I'm sharing this because I got much of my information from the Vogons board, and I think there might be couple of others in here looking for this feature as well. Most of the credit for this work obviously goes to Tom Grandgent for creating the original player.

Attachments

• Filename
    tmidi.7z
    File size
    265.61 KiB
    Downloads
    206 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • tmidi_ss.png
    Filename
    tmidi_ss.png
    File size
    8.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for sharing that, nicely done!
TMIDI is also my midi player or choice, small and efficient 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 3, by OldNice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

thanks for sharing that, nicely done!
TMIDI is also my midi player or choice, small and efficient 😀

Thanks for the kind words. 😀

I agree with the choice, TMIDI is efficient & reliable. This was a required modification to allow map selection for casual listening, but I'd gladly add further features to TMIDI if anyone has a need.

I'd also be interested to see if a map selector can be added to SC-D70 as a physical mod, but this would require another synth as an example. If anyone is willing to take a few clear pictures of the SC-88Pro boards, for example, I could look into this.