VOGONS

First post, by goglxy.27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask general questions about where to find products but am baffled about the variety that's available out there.

Just bought a refurbished win95 pentium pc that comes with a soundblaster 16 card but no speakers.

And was wondering what would be the best speakers that I could find on ebay(or any other place for that matter) for a reasonable price.

My dad used to have a pair of old speakers until we donated it to goodwill.

Thanks!!!

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much anything new except the super low end $10 brand new ones are going to be way better than what was available back then.

Logitech makes some pretty good stereo and 2.1 speaker sets.

What is your budget for speakers?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love this type of stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162568030851

Really nice for the mid to late 90's. The subwoofer takes a lot of room, though.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 11, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recommendation... don't hang around, get the Altec Lansing set... I run Altec Lansing VS2121 myself - they were a top name in PC speakers

Other models I've had and liked (UK, not sure if they have equivalents elsewhere)
Goodmans Active 25 - the best ultracompact speakers ever, outperforming their tiny dimensions by a considerable margin.
Trust Soundwave 20 - I believe they were a copy/rebadge of something else

Reply 6 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Creative SBS20 that look like this:

IMG_8614.JPG

They are actually quite nice and I like the looks. I got them with my very first retro PC about a year and a half ago and never really considered looking for anything else.

But if I had to choose, I'd probably go for Altec Lansing or something from Jazz Hipster series. Too bad they almost never sell for adequate money.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

I love this type of stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162568030851

Really nice for the mid to late 90's. The subwoofer takes a lot of room, though.

Holy shit they are beautiful

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8 of 11, by goglxy.27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally bought the speakers. Spent about $44 but $34 of it was shipping and handling.

Not bad a price for Speakers and a Subwoofer that I'm now gonna explore a little bit more about.

Thank you to firage for recommending... and thank you to those who didn't rush ahead of buying it before me.

I respect the community here and hope it stays around.

Hopefully when I get everything set up, I might eventually post pics of my new (I mean old) rig and hopefully be more a part this community than I could ever imagine.

Thank You!

Reply 9 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got these beauties currently riding a shelf. I would have recommended them, but I couldn't find any for sale online.

IMG_20170713_223215.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170713_223215.jpg
File size
532.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The yellow plastic makes them sound better.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 11, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I've got these beauties currently riding a shelf. I would have recommended them, but I couldn't find any for sale online.

IMG_20170713_223215.jpg

The yellow plastic makes them sound better.

The same as my Trust soundwave 20's - they pack a decent punch for their size.
The Goodmans active 25, another sweet sounding tiny set
2lw4n12.jpg