VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can someone recommend me the best/most-powerful/most-capable SB Live! Card that works with DOS games when played within Win98 (or in DOS mode).

I've come across a massive list and I have no idea what the differences are between them, i.e. which is better etc.

I'm upgrading my Win98 system from a mobo with an ISA slot, to a mobo without one. The ISA card I was using was an AWE64 Gold.

Last edited by bergqvistjl on 2017-07-21, 18:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything upto Audigy has official dos drivers
Anything upto Audigy 2 ZS has Win98 dos mode support, and has modified Dos drivers based on the Audigy.

This also skips over the minefield that is Live! part numbers, but if you really want a Live of some sort you want a Live 5.1 that has the EMU10K1 chip, avoiding OEM or Value cards should keep you safe

Reply 2 of 10, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Anything upto Audigy has official dos drivers
Anything upto Audigy 2 ZS has Win98 dos mode support, and has modified Dos drivers based on the Audigy.

This also skips over the minefield that is Live! part numbers, but if you really want a Live of some sort you want a Live 5.1 that has the EMU10K1 chip, avoiding OEM or Value cards should keep you safe

Can you provide me a link to the drivers for the Audigy 2ZS that has win98 dos mode support please?

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bergqvistjl wrote:

I've come across a massive list and I have no idea what the differences are between them, i.e. which is better etc.

If I'm not mistaken, some of them use SBINIT.COM, and some of them use SBEINIT.COM. I've never been entirely clear on what difference that makes and it may very well make no difference in the end. Otherwise, I understand the cards are all quite indistinguishable as far as DOS mode is concerned.

The kX Project FAQ has a list of cards compatible with the kX Project drivers; you would probably be safe going with one of those.
http://www.kxproject.com/faq.php?language=en#Q15

While the kX Project no longer supports Windows 98, older versions are still available.

Reply 4 of 10, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think people are mis-understanding what i'm looking for. I'm looking for a PCI sound card that works/has drivers for running DOS games WITHIN Windows 98. Currently I have an audigy2 ZS, and as far as dos games go - any games I use simply fail to detect the sound card. I switched to VxD drivers, AND installed the SB16 emulation driver that was on the disc - but Windows complains its unable to start the SB16 Emulation device then 😒

Reply 5 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bergqvistjl wrote:

I think people are mis-understanding what i'm looking for. I'm looking for a PCI sound card that works/has drivers for running DOS games WITHIN Windows 98. Currently I have an audigy2 ZS, and as far as dos games go - any games I use simply fail to detect the sound card. I switched to VxD drivers, AND installed the SB16 emulation driver that was on the disc - but Windows complains its unable to start the SB16 Emulation device then 😒

Either you have a configuration problem... may need to change the card to a different PCI slot and/or change some BIOS settings to make it work.

What are the specs of the rest of your system? Specific brand, model, revision and BIOS version of motherboard may be important.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
bergqvistjl wrote:

Either you have a configuration problem... may need to change the card to a different PCI slot and/or change some BIOS settings to make it work.

What are the specs of the rest of your system? Specific brand, model, revision and BIOS version of motherboard may be important.

I have an ASUS TUSL2-C mobo rev 1.04, v1012 BIOS, with a Voodoo 3 3500TV in the AGP Slot.
I have tried the sound card in both PCI slot 2 & 3.

Only if I install the DOS drivers for the audigy 1, does Win98 detect the SB16 Emulation device. However device manager tells me it's unable to start the device. It gives me the options of configuring settings manually, but whatever I pick, I then get a BSOD fatal exception error - although when it returns, It appears to have started the device. If I then attempt to run my sound setup program, it detects the parameters, but when I attempt to test the sound - it throws an exception and quits.) So very odd. Installing the Audigy 2 patch for the drivers makes no difference.

Maybe it's cos it doesn't like the Audidgy 2ZS? Would an SB Live or Audigy 1 be better?

Reply 9 of 10, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Are you using the parallel port on your motherboard? Try disabling it in your BIOS and see if that solves the problem. It might be an IRQ conflict.

I've disabled that & everything else I can. It seems to be assigning the physical card to IRQ3, which nothing else is using.

But as for the emulation, I have no idea. Still getting that error with the SB16 emulation device in Windows.

Maybe there's something wrong in my ctsyn.in file? The installer didn't create it itself, so I had to use someone's on here. Maybe I've configured it wrong in there? Can someone explain what the various settings in it relate to?