VOGONS

First post, by popeyewinter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there.

I have a system with a Sound Blaster Vibra 16 PnP (ct2800) which I have installed the configuration manager for (since my BIOS is PnP as well) and then the drivers and the software.

It plays all sound in Windows just fine, including music, midi, and even sound from videos like AVI or MPEG, and plays audio cd's just fine. (I am running 3.1).

When I went to set up doom and duke3d in dos though, it works as the music card, but not as the sound FX card.

Configuration manager tells me "Audio card is configured at A220 I5DI HI" every time DOS boots.

I did tell both DOOM and Duke3d this, though I won't get any sound fx in doom, and with duke when I go to test the sound fx card, it says it couldn't play. However, also in duke, when I test the music card, the theme song plays just fine.

I'm lost here.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whats your autoexec.bat file have in it?

Doom gets its settings from the blaster line so if this is set wrong you wont get sound. Midi is obviously ok.
Duke3d isn't a bad tool either, you can try different combinations till you find the correct one. Seems a bit strange to have D and H the same, common options are 5, or 10.

If you installed the drivers with the installer, you should also have diagnose.exe in the soundcard drivers folder. you can also use this to setup/test settings.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
popeyewinter wrote:

It plays all sound in Windows just fine, including music, midi, and even sound from videos like AVI or MPEG, and plays audio cd's just fine. (I am running 3.1).
[..]
Configuration manager tells me "Audio card is configured at A220 I5DI HI" every time DOS boots..

What happens if you do 16Bit playback ? Does it work ? As far as I know, a few Vbras don't do high DMA so well.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//