VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was often reading about the difference of the opl and the cqm FM chip that where on creative labs sound cards. I was lucky enough to have two cards that use each of them so I could appreciate the difference, I did some recording to make sure it was easy to swap between one and an other. I did try the adlib test program, sound blaster diagnose fm music, dune 2 intro and wolf3d. To make thing interesting I shuffled the name A / B to mask the name of the chip. I will later name the cards I used but one was noticeably noisier so I could jinx the game by naming them.

Why dont you try and identify if a music is from a cqm or opl fm chip ? I added a small template you can use at the end of this post so you have less to type:

adlib-test_A
adlib-test_B
diagnose_A
diagnose_B
dune2_A
dune2_B
wolf3d_A
wolf3d_B

template, write: cqm or opl

adlib-test_A : 
adlib-test_B :
diagnose_A :
diagnose_B :
dune2_A :
dune2_B :
wolf3d_A :
wolf3d_B :

Reply 3 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice idea 😀 I'm curious what the results are. I can't play these in my browser, so I'll have to download them to play them.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PM'd my results.

Thanks for providing the opportunity for comparison. Neither of these games is among my own favorites, but the difference between samples is easy to detect.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 10, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wolf3d is surprisingly similar. Dune not so much 😀

Now I'm not so eager to fix my newly aquired ct2x40 that weeks to be missing a cap. It's the cqm version.

Reply 7 of 10, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PMed. I grew up with OPL so I'd like to think I can spot the difference. Never played Dune itself, but there are enough similarities to games like Blackthorne and such that I can take an educated guess.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8 of 10, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all for your respond, I think it's time to put the walkthru. I appreciated no one botherd me with recording quality and such. I really did that test for myself to have a grip about that so called difference. To be honest, I didnt expect there was so much and it was just pretension.

Most people got the diagnose_X wrong which bring me to a question about the diagnose.exe program. There might be some quirks here, for instance, I've also noticed that even if I mute the mixer, diagnose would reset it back while it play it's stuff at the end of the diagnostic.

I was expecting everybody would get 100% at the first time because the CT4520 was much noisier than the CT2230 and it would give, of course it was obvious to me when watching silences in the waveform. Even though I reboot in between each recording and re-set sbmixer to the same settings and double check, the two cards where not the same level and I had to use the adjust volume afterwards. Interestingly enough was that cards had not always the same difference.

Results
----8<--------8<--------8<----
adlib-test_cqm = A
adlib-test_opl = B
diagnose_cqm = A
diagnose_opl = B
dune2_cqm = A
dune2_opl = B
wolf3d_cqm = B
wolf3d_opl = A
----8<--------8<--------8<----

Reply 9 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't pick up the background noise in my comparisons, only listening through some TV speakers at normal volume rather than the headphones. I suspect the SB diagnose.exe represents material that they tuned the CQM design for, because the difference was much harder to spot.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 10 of 10, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

I didn't pick up the background noise in my comparisons, only listening through some TV speakers at normal volume rather than the headphones. I suspect the SB diagnose.exe represents material that they tuned the CQM design for, because the difference was much harder to spot.

that would bring the question : is there's a way to detect the kind of chip on the card ?