VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I recently got myself an MT-32 and having a lot of fun with it. Really waiting for keropi's next batch of MusicQuest clone cards, but SoftMPU will do for now.

Anyways, I wanted to ask for an advice — if you were to build a rig with the sole purpose of covering most MT-32 titles (including speed-sensitive ones), what would you pick? 386DX40? 486SX@33 (or any other 486)? Super Socket 7?

I'm mostly interested in titles by Lucas Arts, Sierra, Origin and Legend Entertainment (like Eric the Unready or Superhero League of Hoboken), but also some early MT-32 games like Silpheed. Origin games like Wing Commander 1 or Ultima 7 are probably the trickiest ones.

Right now, MT-32 is connected to my Pentium 60 build because It runs somewhat like a mid-386 in turbo mode:

SpeedSys: 7.01
System Information 8.0: 16.3
PC Player Benchmark: 2.0
3DBench 1.0: 7.2

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My MT-32 is connected to a 486DX2-66. No issues so far. Wing Commander 1 runs good disabling L1 with setmul. Ultima 7 runs good with turbo disabled (disabling L1 does not slow down U7, but de-turbo or setmul test registers on certain MMX Pentiums does). If I disable L1, L2 and de-turbo, I get down to 286 speeds, so there should be no issues with even very early MT-32 games.

Plus you get the benefit of being able to play some MT-32 games that need the extra horsepower (like Underworld 1 and 2).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 11, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What version of mt-32 do you have? Only rev.0 has issues when computer speed is too fast, rev.1 doesn't care so you only mingle with caches and slowdown programs to provide yourself with a comfortable gaming performance which is a non mt-32 related issue but rather an issue of your own comfort and personal preference.

Last edited by alexsydneynsw on 2017-07-21, 16:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexsydneynsw wrote:

What version of mt-32 do you have? Only v1 has issues when computer speed is too fast, v2 doesn't care so you only mingle with caches and slowdown programs to provide yourself with a comfortable gaming performance which is a non mt-32 related issue but rather an issue of your own comfort and personal preference.

Some games, such as Wing Commander 1 are speed sensitive. As in, if you go past a certain CPU speed, the game with either not run, crash, or just run way too fast to play.

Some ISA sound cards are speed sensitive as well, especially the OPL3 part.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, my comment was probably sloppy and not precise, but that is not important and you are missing the point - none of these issues are related to mt-32.

Reply 6 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexsydneynsw wrote:

What version of mt-32 do you have? Only rev.0 has issues when computer speed is too fast, rev.1 doesn't care so you only mingle with caches and slowdown programs to provide yourself with a comfortable gaming performance which is a non mt-32 related issue but rather an issue of your own comfort and personal preference.

No, of course I meant games that ran too fast, not MT-32 issues caused by CPU speed

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using mainly a p233mmx pc with my MT-32 , some games need to disable caches (as usual, so their drivers don't fail) but I don't remember anything serious other than Lucas Arts Indiana Jones VGA adventure games, for some reason they fail on my setup no matter which sound card I choose...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For MT-32 specific games (which basically covers most games released between 1987 & 1992), my personal opinion is that a 486SX/DX-33 should suffice.
Most of these have a turbo switch, which will allow you to slow down the PC to 386 speeds. However, a 386DX-40 should also be fine.

I can't think of any MT-32 specific title that will require anything faster than that. Once you go past 1992, then you move into General MIDI territory (with MT-32 supported in some cases by simple instrument remapping from the GM soundtrack).

Reply 9 of 11, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jheronimus wrote:
alexsydneynsw wrote:

No, of course I meant games that ran too fast, not MT-32 issues caused by CPU speed

Of course? Really? Topic title is "perfect mt-32 rig". Anyway, that changes a lot. In my opinion the list of games you provided is too vast and covers too many years to say for sure. I think the way to go in your case is just to find system requirements for the most demanding game you are interested in and go with that, slow down with one of the methods described above for games with issues, look for patches.

No such thing as an ultimate mt-32 rig exists is what I think, but that's just my opinion. I use a 386 sx-33 for my mt-32, but I have 6 other 90s computers to cover everything from 1987 to 2000, so my rig is far from perfect.

Reply 10 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

I can't think of any MT-32 specific title that will require anything faster than that. Once you go past 1992, then you move into General MIDI territory (with MT-32 supported in some cases by simple instrument remapping from the GM soundtrack).

I think Underworld 1 will play okay on a 486DX-33, but Underworld 2 was a little choppy at times on my DX2-66. And both of these support MT-32 but not GM. I can't think of any other MT-32 specific games that need that much CPU, though.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 11, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've become somewhat lazy as of late. I moved my Roland MT-32 and SC-88 to my printer shelves (I have a vertical stacking, plate glass desk) and plugged them into a USB MIDI adapter to my modern desktop. Now I'm running games like Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island through SCUMMVM just for the sake of not having to mess with it. TIE-Fighter works well too, I just had to force Windows 8.1 kicking and screaming to use the USB adapter as the default MIDI choice.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ