Rank

i bought this for 3 dollars
Yamaha ISA soundcard

ATC-6631
comes with chip YMF719E-S

high quality image link:
http://computer-retro.de/Bilder/Soundkarten/A … -Soundkarte.jpg

Atrend-ATC-6631-Yamaha-YMF719E-S-Chip-ISA-1998-Soundkarte.jpg

noticed there are places for chips that were never included.

is it good or bad?
where can i get the DOS drivers for it?

Reply 1 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good card. The missing chips are for wavetable, but you can still upgrade the card with a wavetable module. Search around this forum for YMF and you will find a lot of threads.

Drivers can be found at VOGONS Drivers.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup, awesome card !

Almost perfect sb pro 2 compatibility, can output 16 bit audio at 44KHz (where the sbpro is stuck at 22KHz and 8 bit audio in stereo), Real OPL3 in the main little chip, no wavetable bug ...

Drivers can also be found on yamaha's website

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of the drivers, they're just allowing you to change volumes here and there IIRC. To use it in games, just pick the "Sound blaster pro" option ^^. Make sure that left and right chanels aren't flipped as the Sbpro had a hardware flaw and this card doesn't. Some games did overcome that issue, some didn't, some did let you choose ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 9, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THANKS ALL!

i got the Yamaha Audician 32 from vogons drivers

the yamaha website gave me a not found error

i guess it was a good buy for 3 dollars 😀

for wavetable module i will order in the future, 30 euros but it will be worth it.

Reply 6 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

where the sbpro is stuck at 22KHz and 8 bit audio in stereo

Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 can output 44kHz 8-bit stereo. Original Pro couldn't but nobody cares.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same card; quite nice. It's cleaner and less noisy than an SB16. Only thing is since it is a bit smaller some wavetable cards won't fit properly

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Deksor wrote:

where the sbpro is stuck at 22KHz and 8 bit audio in stereo

Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 can output 44kHz 8-bit stereo. Original Pro couldn't but nobody cares.

Are you sure ? On my SB pro 2, when I tried to play a mod file at 44KHz, I did have garbled sound while at 22KHz it was fine. I thought it could only output 44KHz in mono

Reply 9 of 9, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Things to note:

- The sound output is completely unfiltered. So digital sound playback might be a little tinny. If you don't mind this (I prefer it myself) then you're good to go.

- It will glitch out on some games (Warcraft II, Duke Nukem 3D) if you have a motherboard with flaky DMA. I have experienced this only on Pentium 4 boards with ISA slots. If you are running 440BX or older chipset, I suspect you will have no issue.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA