VOGONS

First post, by ommadawnyawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Explanation on nerdly pleasures blog: "By using the GUS's hardware, instead of software mixing, typically these games will have better audio performance and higher audio quality. "

I take it to mean that games described simply as native just have software mixing and don't really use it fully?

On the blog, there's a fairly short list. Can someone confirm that this list is complete?
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.se/2012/04/un … me-support.html

The list of natively supported GUS games is much longer:
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/glist.htm

This "ultrasound experience" demo also mentions a few "natively supported" games (22:52). These are not on the g-list: 11th Hour, Zephyr, The Pure WarGame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MzYd2cLNE

Reply 1 of 4, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ommadawnyawn wrote:

I take it to mean that games described simply as native just have software mixing and don't really use it fully?

Yes, unfortunately native Gravis UltraSound support doesn't mean mixing is done in hardware. For a list of games that support the UltraSound natively, you can also check MobyGames. 11th Hour seems to support Gravis UltraSound, the two other games do not. Perhaps the developers intended to support it but it never came to fruition.

The list of games that use UltraSound hardware mixing is indeed rather small. Using software mixing and treating the UltraSound as PCM + MIDI device made developing much easier as the same structure could be applied to other sound cards.

YouTube

Reply 2 of 4, by ommadawnyawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, thanks for the explanation.

It's a shame, I can't even find uploads for all of the games that did use it online. Missing these currently:
Archon Ultra, Crusader: No Remorse, Crusader: No Regret, Death Rally, Jazz Jackrabbit, The Lemmings Chronicles, Pinball Arcade CD-ROM (Pinball Dreams & Pinball Dreams II), Pinball Illusions, Silverball

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Games I have found that I have so far.
Archon Ultra
Crusader 1 - No Remorse
Crusader 2 - No Regret
Death Rally
Jazz Jackrabbit
SilverBall (and trainer)
The Lemmings Chronicles

Not sure if these are the versions that support GUS:
Pinball Dreams
Pinball Dreams 2

Games still being sold:
Pinball Illusions is available on GOG. Not sure if that version has GUS support or not. I am guessing so as it is probably just being run with DOSBOX.
Pinball Arcade (Pinball Dreams Deluxe) - same as above.

I will be making sound samples at some point. I will post a link to them but not necessarily in this thread.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-08-04, 07:09. Edited 12 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by ommadawnyawn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess I should clarify; I am interested in just the music here, as it would sound on a real GUS card.

Is Dosbox emulation good enough to get the right impression? What about Open ModPlug tracker? I can open music in amf and mod formats and it sounds nice there, but I have no frame of reference.