VOGONS

First post, by kazblox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No kernel drivers for Linux appear to exist for the mWave DSP, which is what I would have expected for IBM's neglect around this era. Unfortunately, the only way to enable Sound Blaster compatibility is to use proprietary DOS/Windows drivers, which sucks for using sound with the Linux kernel.

Debugging the drivers might take a while, so is there any way to simply hook and log I/O writes on a real machine to see if there is a special activation sequence by writing to the installed mWave ports? I could possibly do this on an emulator, but it's easy for me to work with the real thing where I have access to the whole card.

Reply 1 of 1, by kazblox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.adamcon.org/~dmwick/thinkpad/

Hm.... from this page, it looks like the DSP functions can be and are preloaded by the driver when initializing the processor part of the card. I'm not sure whether he means that the Sound Blaster emulation code can be loaded with a simple toggle sequence or whether it requires uploading proprietary firmware binaries. In the meantime, there's some mWave initialization code on that page that will be useful to me...