VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

alright so first off my setup

486 running DOS 6.22. I'm using a Roland MPU-IPC-T midi card connected to a breakout box going to a MT-32 and then to my SB16 where it is mixed and outputed.

This is Ive had this setup working perfectly in the past but a few months ago I moved some things around and disconnected everything and its just sat a few months. This morning I put everything back together and try out Fate of Atantis and.....the MT-32 midi is completely screwed up. It kind of sounds like the Indiana Jones theme but its using the wrong sounds. I'm not sure what could of happened as I haven't messed around with any settings. I also tried Quest for Glory 1 which previously worked fine but not it hangs when I try to load it up Wing Commander also locks up when attempting to use the MT-32. I also tried connecting a SC-55 to the breakout box and Fate gives the same incorrect sounds with general midi selected

I tried hooking the speakers straight up to the MT-32 to bypass the mixing and I had the same issues. I then tested the MT-32 on a separate DOS PC with a midi man card installed and it worked fine. So going on that my problem seems to be either the the interface card went bad or the breakout box. is there anything I'm missing or is there something I should look for? Its going to suck if the interface card died.

Reply 1 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swap the MIDIMAN card into the 486 and test. That seems the most likely culprit.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Swap the MIDIMAN card into the 486 and test. That seems the most likely culprit.

when placed in the 486 the midiman card operates fine. so that rules out the 486 itself. it looks like its either the card or the breakout box.

can the breakout box be bypassed and a direct cable made to interface with the MPU-IPC-T interface card itself or is there something special about the box that the Roland card needs? The midiman card doesn't use a breakout box, I just have a simple midi cable that attaches directly to the card and separates into midi in/out.

seems like a few years ago MPU-IPC-T breakout boxes were not to uncommon and cheapish on eBay. I don't see any now.

Reply 5 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, i'm at a complete loss. The MPU-IPC-T and breakout box with the MT-32 works fine in my 386. after listen again the midiman card works in my 486 but it sounds,,,,off. some of the notes hang. so looks like it is my 486 after all. I just have no idea why. The mt-32 setup used to work just fine with my 486. I didn't change anything. I also played around with the ISA bus speeds and nothing helped. could the board just be going bad? caps or maybe the CMOS battery needs replaced? I've seen that do odd things to machines before.

anything look off?
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/0blivi … zpsklpc9rwp.jpg

Reply 6 of 8, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

alright so first off my setup...

In Soviet Russia, you sound incorrect to the MT-32!

...sorry I could not resist. 🤣

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 8 of 8, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Try harder.

Roger that, Sub Zero. 😉

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2