VOGONS

First post, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like ive said in the title.

if i play in windows 95, every game that needs cd audio tracks will play.
when i launch those same games in dos, there's absolutely no sound...
(and i would prefer play them in dos)

While in Ms-Dos
i can see that cd-rom light flashing...so if i plug headphones directly, i can hear Audio tracks from games.
but id prefer to use the speakers, not headphones.

My Sound blaster is a CT2950 model, i used the drivers found around here for win95.

for some infos about the cd-rom , i also plugged the digital cable
(and like i said, can hear the audio tracks but only in windows)

any help would be gladly appreciated, thanks

is there some kind of way to check if the volume is down in dos ?
or something like that, ive looked around but nothing caugh my attention.

even if they're old....those old dos games are still the best!!!

Reply 1 of 17, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you say that you plugged in the "digital cable," did you mean one of these, that connects the back of the CD-ROM drive to an internal port on the Sound Blaster?
21UYgIH7oNL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
If not, then that could be what you're missing.

Reply 2 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought that Win9x also needed this cable, so you would not get CD audio there without it?

Do you have the MIXERSET program (installed as part of the Sound Blaster DOS software)? Try checking if CD Audio may be muted there.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 17, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Osprey wrote:
When you say that you plugged in the "digital cable," did you mean one of these, that connects the back of the CD-ROM drive to a […]
Show full quote

When you say that you plugged in the "digital cable," did you mean one of these, that connects the back of the CD-ROM drive to an internal port on the Sound Blaster?
21UYgIH7oNL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
If not, then that could be what you're missing.

yeah at first, i didnt have it and it corrected the audio tracks missing in windows.
still i didnt had any sound, so i went in the win95 mixer and the volume was muted.
right after, the music was back in windows BUT
i thought it would also correct the audio in Dos, but to my surprise it didnt ...

thats why ive come to ask help here 😀
is there a possible way that its also muted in dos ? like it was in windows 95

Reply 4 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
escarioth wrote:

Yup. Check the sliders and output tickboxes in MIXERSET under DOS.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

I thought that Win9x also needed this cable[..]

Perhaps it does. I can't remember details of Win9x anymore.
XP at least has an option to change between digital/analogue playback.

If digital playback is enabled, XP will do the playback itself via the data cable.
Just like when you're attempting to rip a CD-ROM.

Some older Windows games using MCI commands aren't impressed by this method, though.
They will still insist to control the first CD-ROM drive directly (stop/play/select track/time index).

In this case, the audio is played by the drive itself and an audio cable is needed (analogue or S/PDIF).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 17, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
escarioth wrote:

Yup. Check the sliders and output tickboxes in MIXERSET under DOS.

hmm.. didnt have this one installed.
so i went and install it from the SBdriver utilities i found around Vogons.

every sliders were at 100%....wich i found weird.
went back to try a game in dos that need a audio track.
everything works.....what the hell. something was probably set wrong and just
getting into mixerset corrected the prob.

Gdjacobs thanks ! 😁

Reply 7 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. This forum is for DOS games on newer systems. You should ask questions involving old hardware in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 17, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Wrong forum. This forum is for DOS games on newer systems. You should ask questions involving old hardware in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

ah crap i did the exact same mistake like last time 😖
so sorry, ill take note of this

Reply 9 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

While I can understand the "ask questions involving old hardware in Marvin", the claim "this forum is for DOS games on newer systems" is based on what, exactly?

The forum description says "Getting old DOS games working". No mention of new systems, old systems...

The list of topics in the forum seems to be a mix between general discussions of old games, general discussions of DOS, as well as also getting DOS games to run on various systems, old and new.

Maybe the forum system needs more clarifications / another overhaul?

Last edited by dr_st on 2017-08-07, 07:30. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VOGONS stands for Very Old Games On New Systems so by default discussions should be geared towards that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

VOGONS stands for Very Old Games On New Systems so by default discussions should be geared towards that.

You know that and I know that, but how should the average newbie know that? Is the meaning of the acronym explained anywhere on the main page? Or even the FAQ? 😕

Reply 13 of 17, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

You know that and I know that, but how should the average newbie know that? Is the meaning of the acronym explained anywhere on the main page? Or even the FAQ? 😕

I just noticed that it's in the logo above, but it's barely legible. I thought that it was simply boxes until just now. In fact, I've visited VOGONs now and then for probably the past 15 years and never knew what it stood for, even though I recognize that as the long-time logo.

I agree that this site is confusing, especially for newbies. There are so many different subforums, many that seem to overlap and some with oddball names (like "Marvin"). It's as if the site is intentionally being highly technical and using its own lingo to scare newbies away. It is sort of nice that most here are geeks and very knowledgeable, but much of the point is lost if we have few people to help.