VOGONS

First post, by wim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently brought up my old "Avid Technology" ISA sound card from the basement equipped with creative Chips (as seen on the picture)
I discovered that it has 2 YM3812 (OPL2) chips on it?
I cant find any explanation why this is?

Regards,

Wim

Attachments

Last edited by wim on 2017-08-13, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, it's perhaps a SB Pro 1 "clone" without CD-ROM interface ? 😅
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster#S … r_Pro.2C_CT1330

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congrats!
It is a great card.
The original Sound Blaster Pro 1 (CT1330) has 2 OPL2 to provide stereo FM Sound.
Soon after the OPL3 chip was released. So Creative updated the Sound Blaster Pro to rev. 2 (CT1600) with 1 x OPL3.
The Sound Blaster Pro 1 is quite rare. That is why many collectors are looking for this version.
And your card is a clone of this card. So keep it!!

More here: Sound Blaster Pro 1 and Prince of Persia

Reply 4 of 4, by wim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
moturimi1 wrote:
Congrats! It is a great card. The original Sound Blaster Pro 1 (CT1330) has 2 OPL2 to provide stereo FM Sound. Soon after the O […]
Show full quote

Congrats!
It is a great card.
The original Sound Blaster Pro 1 (CT1330) has 2 OPL2 to provide stereo FM Sound.
Soon after the OPL3 chip was released. So Creative updated the Sound Blaster Pro to rev. 2 (CT1600) with 1 x OPL3.
The Sound Blaster Pro 1 is quite rare. That is why many collectors are looking for this version.
And your card is a clone of this card. So keep it!!

More here: Sound Blaster Pro 1 and Prince of Persia

Great thanks for the info, this explains a lot.
We bought this sound card new back in the days and we played a lot of games on it, my father kept it all those years and we finally going to use it again with an upcoming retro build.
😊