VOGONS

First post, by Zagulevix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
I am trying to get sound working in Tomb Raider 1 under plain FreeDOS 1.2 boot, no VMs or DOS emulators.

Some info about the system that I'm trying to do this on:
My motherboard is GA-G31M-S2L with latest F10f BIOS. Sound card is Sound Blaster PCI128 CT4700, recognized as Ensoniq ES1370, IRQ set to 10 in BIOS. My main OS is Ubuntu 16.04.
I have a hardware floppy drive installed in this system, and also some empty floppy disks. That may be useful.
I have FreeDOS installed on /dev/sdb4 500MB FAT16 partition, visible as C: when booted to FreeDOS. I am not using any virtual machines, VirtualBox was only used for the process of installation (I then converted the virtual disk file to .IMG file and unpacked it onto the /dev/sdb4 partition, using sys-freedos-linux to make it bootable), because when I tried to install it from CD directly, I accidentally deleted MBR and all partition info. I later recovered it with GParted Live CD.

BLASTER variable is set to A220 I5 D1 T2. I also tried I7 and I10, modifying SBIRQ in SNDSCAPE.INI accordingly.
SNDSCAPE variable is set to the directory of sound drivers.

The sound card drivers I tried:
1. http://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/snddosdr.htm - Only SBPCI64 "works", the rest gives me this error:

error: PCI device detect failed; Device not found.
PCI audio driver NOT loading.

When I load SBPCI64 driver (APINIT.COM), it gives me this message:

Sound Blaster PCI64 @ Port d000, IRQ 10
Initialization Complete.

However, when I run APTEST.EXE it shows:

- Initializing ...
error: Sound Blaster PCI64 legacy Device was not detected

And when I set the sound card in Tomb Raider 1 setup, pressing the "Test" button or starting the game freezes the computer and I have to reset.

2. ftp://89.179.20.136/oldftp/DRV&BIOS/Sound/ENS … NIQ/ES1370/DOS/ - Behaves exactly like SBPCI64 above.

3. I found some weird "CT4700" driver (I don't remember where I found it) that SEEMS to detect the card, but it does this:

PCI Audio @ Port d000, IRQ 10
Initialization Complete.
C:\CT4700> *I press enter*
Jemm386: exception 0D ocurred at CD:EIP=01E8:000024A7, ERRC=00008A04
SS:ESP=0010:00004FDC EBP=004507E4 EFL=00013003 CR0=80000011 CR2=00000000
EAX=0011AD1C EBX=00450040 ECX=045E8B08 EDX=000000D8 ESI=00450A68 EDI=00450001

And then system freezes and I have to reset.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem (other than getting an older motherboard/DOSBox/VM)? Am I doing something wrong? Is the "legacy" part of the sound card damaged?

Attached my current AUTOEXEC.BAT, FDCONFIG.SYS and SNDSCAPE.INI in txt form.

Edit: If it's the ABSOLUTE ONLY solution, I'll accept getting an older ISA motherboard and an actual Sound Blaster 16. But in this case, it will be building a dedicated DOS computer.

Attachments

• Filename
    SNDSCAPE.TXT
    File size
    622 Bytes
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    FDCONFIG.TXT
    File size
    765 Bytes
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    AUTOEXEC.TXT
    File size
    1.41 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license

DOS PC - MS-DOS 6.22
ATC-1000+ (BIOS v1.3 04) - Q1 missing - ext.3.3V on JP6 pin 2
Pentium MMX 200MHz 2.8Vcore 3.3Vio
Matrox Mystique 220, Voodoo 2, Sound Blaster 16 (CT2230)
128MB RAM, 1GB HDD, CD drive, 2x 3.5" floppy drives

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me of an issue I had many, many years ago.
Two cards had got the same chip, but only one of them worked in DOS.
Still don't know why. Does your card work in Windows, at least ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The chipset of your motherboard is just to new, Sound Blaster emulation won't work with Ensoniq/Creative PCI cards.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

The chipset of your motherboard is just to new, Sound Blaster emulation won't work with Ensoniq/Creative PCI cards.

What does the chipset of the motherboard have to do with things if the Sound Blaster emulation is handled by the AudioPCI driver?

Reply 4 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

What does the chipset of the motherboard have to do with things if the Sound Blaster emulation is handled by the AudioPCI driver?

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer or very deep in to PC architecture, but from what I have read and exprienced myself getting anything newer than ICH5 to cooperate with the TSR of Ensoniq/Creative PCI sound card is a big no. You can read attempts made by more knowledgeable people here: http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=4200

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 7, by Zagulevix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like I have to build a dedicated DOS PC...

Jo22 wrote:

Does your card work in Windows, at least ?

It does work fine in 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04, it doesn't work in 64-bit Windows 10 (that I also have on this computer), because there are no 64-bit Windows drivers for this card. I didn't try on 32-bit Windows, maybe it would work, because I think there are 32-bit Vista drivers, and I had devices working in Windows 10 on Vista drivers. Fortunately, the PCI sound card doesn't block the onboard ICH7 HD Audio, so I still have sound in Windows.

DOS PC - MS-DOS 6.22

Reply 6 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

The Ensoniq TSR used PCI non maskable interrupts (NMIs) in creative and unhealthy ways. This feature seems to have been supplanted by MCE and SMI functionality, so it might not work on newer motherboards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by Zagulevix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I know someone who has an old ISA AT motherboard, but before I start building a dedicated DOS PC, maybe there is a way of getting the onboard ICH7 HD Audio working in FreeDOS? Are there any programs that can emulate older ISA cards completely inside DOS, with software only, without needing to use some old hardware functionality that modern motherboards don't have anymore?

I found something called DOSSOUND that claims to work with ICH7, but not the "HD Audio" thing.
When I try to load it with the Sound Blaster card installed:

Vendor: 8086(Intel) Device: 29C0
AC97 audio disabled in BIOS?

When I try to load it without Sound Blaster installed:

Vendor: 8086(Intel) Device: 27D8
High definition audio controllers not supported!

Would it be possible to use it without the HD Audio functionality? Or it just won't work because the whole device is different?

I also found something called New HXDOS-extender 2.17+ that claims to work with HD Audio, but it was giving me virus warnings, so I'm a bit afraid of installing it in DOS.

I don't know if those programs would work with Tomb Raider 1. Maybe not directly, and they would need some other program to emulate the older ISA cards.

http://www.rom.by/files/g31m-s2l.pdf - This is probably some kind of service datasheet for the G31M-S2L motherboard, with circuit diagrams. May be useful.

Edit: I got that AT motherboard. It is ATC-1000+ and it came with Pentium MMX and 32MB of RAM. It has one issue, the JP9 jumper seems to be stuck on 2-3 setting, no matter how I position the jumper, and because of that my max CPU speed is 166MHz, but this problem is for another topic. ES1370 works completely fine now.

DOS PC - MS-DOS 6.22