VOGONS

First post, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI Guys;

i am looking for DOS drivers for my Sound Blaster Live CT4830. I am very amateur in MS-DOS. Could someone please help me or guide me to a step by step tutorial on setting up native DOS drivers for my sound card. Thanks

Reply 2 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:

Try this
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =52&menustate=0
The download includes instructions.

i remember trying that before and i never got it to work. I will try again, do you know if WDM or VXD drivers matter for getting sound working in DOS

Reply 3 of 16, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you need the VXD.
You could also try this download, though I'm not 100% sure it includes the DOS drivers.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 804&menustate=0

Also the computer the card is installed on needs NMI (non-maskable interrupts) for the DOS sound to work.
There's some info about that here
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=5805
in the section called "Problems with my Sound Blaster Live! card in Windows 95/98 DOS Mode"

Reply 4 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:
I think you need the VXD. You could also try this download, though I'm not 100% sure it includes the DOS drivers. http://www.vog […]
Show full quote

I think you need the VXD.
You could also try this download, though I'm not 100% sure it includes the DOS drivers.

Also the computer the card is installed on needs NMI (non-maskable interrupts) for the DOS sound to work.
There's some info about that here
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=5805
in the section called "Problems with my Sound Blaster Live! card in Windows 95/98 DOS Mode"

So i installed those dos drivers you posted earlier and was greeted with all these errors. Much help appreciated

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    84.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    87.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    76.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:

What do the contents of your autoexec.bat and config.sys files look like?

Autoexec

SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\drv\creative\dosdrv
C:\DRV\CREATIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /L /X
PATH C:\DOS
lh c:\drv\mouse\mouse.com

Config.sys

BUFFERS=10,0
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\ /p
DOS=HIGH,umb
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off /Q
DEVICE=C:\DOS\emm386.exe I=B000-B7FF RAM D=256 AUTO

Reply 7 of 16, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't see any problems there.
Did you do any other editing?

The readme says...

The sample bootfiles use the drive and directory structure given in a. one step above. You need to modify them if you have […]
Show full quote

The sample bootfiles use the drive and directory structure
given in a. one step above.
You need to modify them if you have unpacked to a different
location.
You also need to modify the path of the entry "waveset"
in the file CTSYN.INI accordingly.

so make sure those paths are correct.

The Readme also says

If you experience any problems such as no sound, interrupt conflicts or else, try to modify the settings for your driver using
SBESET.EXE, or modify your BIOS settings following the instructions
given in the HTML file.

and toward the end of the "sblive in dos" file in the "howto" folder there is "An alternative scenario was worked out by Shifty for those who are still having difficulties" with a suggestion for sbeset.

An alternative scenario was worked out by Shifty for those who are still having difficulties even with the previous procedure: […]
Show full quote

An alternative scenario was worked out by Shifty for those who are still having difficulties even with the previous procedure:

You'll need the sbeset command that should come with the dos drivers, I'm assuming it's in your c:\sblive\dosdrv directory. At the command line, type:

c:\sblive\dosdrv\sbeset -I10 -w0

That's an *upper case* letter "I" followed by a one and zero to set the IRQ to ten, then a lower case "w" followed by a zero to tell it to ignore your Windows configuration. Sbeset should also automatically set your blaster environment variable. Now all you need to do is make sure you have the line

c:\sblive\dosdrv\sbeinit

in your autoexec.bat, reboot into "pure" DOS and give it a go. Changing the IRQ to 10 did wonders for me, I have no idea why because there's nothing on the default of 5 that should be conflicting with it. Don't be scared of experimenting with different values under DOS, you're unlikely to be using other devices that would normal conflict under Windows.

One limitation other than the settings can also be your motherboard
configuration and compatibility. You will need to check with the motherboard manufacturer and ask them does their motherboard fully support NMI (Non Maskable Interrupts) and if it does how to enable them. Some manufacturers of motherboards state that they do support NMI but when tested and used (like with the SB128/Live) they don't work. If you have a ALI/ASUS chipset/motherboard an updated BIOS is now available which supports NMI, check out http://www.asus.com.tw for this patch. Until the motherboard fully supports NMI then the software emulation simply cannot operate. Check with the respective motherboard supplier for NMI compatibility. (Tip from FRK)

I'm afraid I don't have any first hand experience using SBLive DOS drivers under DOS 6.22.
I've only used the DOS emulation on a computer with Windows 98, which is a LOT easier to configure.

Reply 9 of 16, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These videos from Phil's Computer Lab helped me get my Soundblaster going in DOS. Not the same model as you, but still might be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaf4lWI2TEk&t=540s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6HzttM6wS0 (not sure if you're running in straight DOS, or in DOS mode through Win98)

Reply 10 of 16, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JaKSLaP wrote:

Iam using Windows98.

You probably need different paths in the autoexec.bat and config.sys then.
Windows 98 doesn't normally even have a C:\DOS folder unless you create it manually yourself.

I don't know how much use tit will be to you, but here is how the autoexec.bat, config.sys, and dosstart.bat files look on my PII 400 computer, which has Windows 98 and an SBLive.

C:\autoexec.bat
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

C:\config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM DEVICEHIGH=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MYCD

C:\windows\dosstart.bat
@echo off
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MYCD
C:\CTMOUSE.COM

Note that the installation from my SBLive driver CD buried the DOSDRV folder in
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\DOSDRV
and used "PROGRA~1" instead of "Program Files"

At one point I made a boot disk for the computer, and some of the lines in C:\Windows\dosstart.bat were in autoexec.bat on the boot disk (like the mouse driver).

The autoexec.bat on the bootdisk looked like this:
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=A:;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /M:20 /L:F
LH MOUSE.COM

The config.sys on the bootdisk looked like this:
Device=Himem.sys
Device=Emm386.exe
DOS=HIGH,UMB
Files=30
Buffers=30
LastDrive=j
DeviceHigh=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:mscd001

Files copied to the bootdisk:
Autoexec.bat
Command.com
Config.sys
Ctmouse.com
Drvspace.bin
Emm386.exe
Himem.sys
Io.sys
Mouse.com
Mscdex.exe
Msdos.sys
OakCdrom.sys
sscdrom.sys

I don't remember why I didn't copy sbeinit to the boot disk. Maybe it didn't work from there or something.

Last edited by skitters on 2017-08-21, 18:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be honest i followed the instructions and copied eveything to avoid issues. I created that DOS Folder manually and the DRV Folder. Not sure if that was wrong. this is my CTSYN.ini. I didnt change anything and basically copied everything from that .zip file

[ctsyn.drv]
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
SBEnable=true
JoyPort=200
JoyEnable=true
Waveset=C:\DRV\CREATIVE\DOSDRV\default.ecw
PCIPort=1000
PCIIRQ=11

[SBEMIXER]
MasterVolL=192
MasterVolR=192
WaveVolL=192
WaveVolR=192
CDVolL=192
CDVolR=192
SynthVolL=192
SynthVolR=192
MT32=+

Reply 12 of 16, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The sample autoexec.bat and config.sys that are in the "bootfile" folder look like they're meant for a pure DOS installation rather than DOS mode under Windows 98. That's why I thought you were using DOS 6.22 earlier.

My SBLive is an older 4.1 version, and I think the ct4830 is a 5.1. Otherwise I'd upload my driver CD for you.
But to get your SBLive working in DOS, I'd try to use the file structure on my PII as a starting point.

The CTSYN.ini file is in the C:\Windows folder on my PII. It isn't in the DOSDRV folder.
So that's one difference between using the DOSDRV files in Windows 98 vs DOS.
My CTSYN.ini file also has some differences from the one that comes with the DOSDRV download.
The contents look like this:

[ctsyn.drv]
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
SBEnable=true
JoyPort=200
JoyEnable=true
Waveset=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\default.ecw
PCIPort=e400
PCIIRQ=10

So you can see the lines for Waveset, PCIPort, and PCIIRQ are different
Waveset is different because it's adjusting the path to C:\Windows\System instead of C:\DRV\CREATIVE\DOSDRV
PCIIRQ is different because my computer uses IRQ 10 for the SBLive and not IRQ 11.
I don't know what PCIPort is or whether it's computer-specific. Maybe someone else can tell us if it needs changing.

There's no [SBEMIXER] category in my CTSYN.ini file.
Might be because of a card version difference (my card is a "Value" type) or might be because I never ran the SBEMIXER.EXE file.

Do you have a C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive folder?
If you do, I'd put the DOSDRV folder there and adjust the paths.
Copy the CTSYN.ini folder to your C:\Windows folder. Make sure the Waveset and PCIIRQ lines are appropriate. If you don't know what IRQ your card is using, run Device Manager (right-click My Computer, then Properties, Device Manager tab), highlight the SBLive listing under Sound, video, and game controllers, choose Properties, tab, and the Resources tab should tell you which Interrupt Request the card is using. Alternatively you can look at System Information (if it's installed) using the Start Menu --> Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Information --> Hardware Resources --> IRQs

I don't know if the PCIport line needs changing or not. You may have to experiment.

Edit your C:\autoexec.bat, C:\config.sys, and C:\Windows\dosstart.bat files to look like mine.
These are the lines that have to do with the SBLive (I'm leaving mouse and CD drivers off this list):

C:\autoexec.bat

C:\config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB

C:\windows\dosstart.bat
@echo off

If you don't have a C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive folder, try the drivers from
which say they work with the ct4830.
If they don't include the DOS drivers, check to see if they at least created the C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive folder for you (so you can add the DOSDRV folder to that).

Reply 13 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@skitters

Thanks for your detailed reply i followed all your instructions i have the SBLive folder i copied the drivers over and adjusted the patch accordingly unfortunately i am getting more errors this time

1. EMM386 Not installed - unable to set page frame base address. Press any key

2. then all i see is a blackscreen with autoexec.bat running in a loop 🙁

I really don't know what to do to get this running, to be honest. i might just scrap it or if you have any other suggestions

Reply 14 of 16, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Other than making sure the files are where the paths in autoexec and config say they are, I don't know what else to suggest.
EMM386 should be loading.
The SBLive's DOS emulation won't work without it.

Reply 15 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:

Other than making sure the files are where the paths in autoexec and config say they are, I don't know what else to suggest.
EMM386 should be loading.
The SBLive's DOS emulation won't work without it.

I finally got it to work by downloading dos drivers that have a setup from MSFN.COM, just when i was about to give up.
http://www.mdgx.com/sbdrv/sbldos2.zip
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/115903-compil … for-windows-9x/

i deleted everything from config.sys and autoexec i ran the installation and it configured everything automatically.

I still got the "EMM386 not installed" error but i still worked, then then added in "noems" after device=c:\windows\emm386.exe and the error went away.

Then added mouse driver and now have street rod 2 working in perfect full screen, with sound and mouse support. I tried to smartdrive and got all these errors so i just removed it.

Thank you so much for all your help. Epic Pinball is running perfectly now it full sound blaster support. Now i just gotta figure out why OMF runs so fast 🤣.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    206.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    138.57 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 16 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OMF ideally should be run with a 486 computer. It does have internal manual throttles which can help with gameplay, but I think the menus are still twitchy unless you use cache tricks or a period system.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder