VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So to start off I have a Packard bell legend which has the pb600 board, came with p75 and on board 256cache

I have been slowly getting it up and running, upgraded it to a p133 and a cf card with a ide - > cf reader and everything else stock.

Running dos 7.10 (no windows)

I have been lurking these forums for a while, got some good info on freeing up conventional memory etc but now I am stuck with the sound card.

I found a few different posts but they did not solve my problem.

Basically my system has a stock Aztech isa combo sound card with the modem running 2316-s chip

My problem is that some games detect it no problem, others detect it half way, while others see nothing

Example

Doom1: sound effects + music 100%
Dune2: I got music but no sound effects, instead the units talking (yes sir) Just hear a triple beep, ( I have 625kb free conventional memory, 16meg ram and tried ems/no ems)
Tie fighter: setup does not detect any music card at all

So this is what I have tried:

Ctcm.exe with hex edited fix for winbootdir - no difference
Hwset.exe for Aztech cards - doesn't detect a compatible card
Diagnose.exe from sb16 directory - doesn't detect card

So I am trying to chase down the correct dos driver if one exists for this card, although as stated in threads for dos shouldn't really need drivers, and some games work fine

Still not 100% sure what is the card name, from other posts it points to the card being a Aztech sound galaxy iii but when I google pictures they look different

Anybody able to help me out?

Thank you IMG_20170813_140538.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't bother with DIAGNOSE or CTCM... those are for Creative cards.

Look here http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 788&menustate=0

Yours is an AZT2316-s so look in the P16II directory in that zip.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 13, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Look at your card for something that says "FCC ID", and match it up with the table near the middle of this page:
https://blog.purplepa.ws/aztech-sound-cards/

Let me know what your FCC ID says. If you do find it in that table, you might spot some other names for the card. Aztech cards (especially Packard Bell OEM ones) are extremely picky about drivers matching cards.

Last edited by SaxxonPike on 2023-09-17, 23:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 3 of 13, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanx for your replies, I tried the P16II install, the utilities after installed would not recognize the card, however now dune2 does play digital sounds and music, I suspect this is after the installation added the set galaxy string along with my old set blaster string in autoexec.bat

I could not find any fcc string there is a sticker on the back with a azsc60210900 but no goole hits, also says Panasonic 52x which also doesn't match up to anything on the chart.

The fighter still doesn't detect any card or freezes in the sound detection, I have a few other games freeze on startup like alone in the dark 1, syndicate so there may be a separate problem with this system, think the sound card is as good as it can get for now, thanx guys

Reply 5 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Based on the chipset being used (AZT 2316-S), it's one of the 3rd generation chipsets (this is not a Plug 'n Play card).

To my knowledge, model numbers I38-MMSN824 & I38-MMSN850 used the same chipsets.
I have the drivers for both of these and they should work with this sound card.
However, you will require separate drivers for the modem component of the sound card (Windows might already have generic drivers for that and I doubt you will require this under DOS).

Reply 6 of 13, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanx for your help everybody, now I am getting sound in all the games so problem solved, this is a pure dos machine so thanx for the offer but don't need any further drivers

Reply 7 of 13, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some are fun... the one I had came with a sound file that would say "Computers today need more power... the power of sound!"

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've attached the drivers of model numbers I38-MMNS824 & I38-MMSN850.
One of these should work - I think it might come in handy, since it includes a software based volume control as well (so that you can adjust the line in and line out settings of your MIDI, voice, main volume, as well as mute your Microphone in).
Also, if you one day need to re-configure your sound card, then you can use the utility as well to do that for you.

Attachments

• Filename
    m16abo-2( v1.20).zip
    File size
    682.92 KiB
    Downloads
    83 downloads
    File comment
    I38-MMSN850 Disk 2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    m16abo-1 (v1.20).zip
    File size
    780.11 KiB
    Downloads
    73 downloads
    File comment
    I38-MMSN850 Disk 1
    File license
  • Filename
    VY212.RAR
    File size
    2.59 MiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File comment
    I38-MMNS824
    File license

Reply 9 of 13, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually it will be good to have software control over volume since my speakers don't have one built in, so the drivers will come in handy, thanx! I found I got a virus running in my boot sector called Lemming so this could be my problem why tie fighter crashes on sound detect and a few other games, once I clear that up ill get on the drivers

Reply 10 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote:

Actually it will be good to have software control over volume since my speakers don't have one built in, so the drivers will come in handy, thanx! I found I got a virus running in my boot sector called Lemming so this could be my problem why tie fighter crashes on sound detect and a few other games, once I clear that up ill get on the drivers

Hope you come right.

I'm a bit surprised there is no FCC ID printed somewhere on the PCB (since practically all Aztech cards I've seen usually had the FCC ID printed on their PCB's). Perhaps hidden or obscured under some of the other cards that you showed in your picture?
I also have two Aztech Audio Telephony Drivers, which I've attached.
However, I'm not sure whether these are actually compatible with your specific model - only way to know is to install them and to see whether the relevant sound card configuration utility picks up the sound card properly and your software based mixer works properly with your combo card.
These driver packages should then also contain the relevant modem drivers.

Attachments

• Filename
    AT3260.RAR
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File comment
    Aztech MM AT-3260
    File license
  • Filename
    AT3200.RAR
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File comment
    Aztech MM AT-3200
    File license

Reply 12 of 13, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I cleaned up the virus and installed
m16abo-1 (v1.20).zip
These must be the right drivers, volset.exe works, and able to successfully set volume level using /V: switch.

Using P16ll drivers volset.exe would give me unable to detect card or something similar, so now everything is 100% thank you!