VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to set up a machine that boots from a floppy and I want to fit the GUS drivers on it. All I want is the bare minimum to initialize the card so that I can run GUS native stuff - don't need SBOS/MegaEM or even a patch bank. What files do I need to do this (& what do I need to add manually to autoexec.bat/config.sys?)

I've got the CD-ROM installer from Vogonsdrivers but obviously don't have anywhere near enough space to "install" it.

Never messed with a GF1 card before, only PNPs, so appreciate the help. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 1, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I figured it out. Here's what I came up with incase anyone else wants to do this:

You need these files in A:\ULTRASND:

ULTRAMIX.EXE (24018 bytes)
ULTRAMIX.INI (769 bytes)
ULTRASND.INI (5476 bytes)
ULTRINIT.EXE (29680 bytes)
~60 kB total

And the following lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET ULTRASND=240,6,7,11,11     (or whatever your card is using)
SET ULTRA16=34C,0,0,1,0 ( " " )
SET ULTRADIR=A:\ULTRASND
A:\ULTRASND\ULTRINIT.EXE -dj

Note on SET ULTRADIR: ULTRINIT updates ULTRAMIX.INI so it needs access to where that file is stored. If once the system is booted you want to put in removable media (CD, ZIP, etc.) with the full ultrasound installation (pats, etc.), you can update the variable with another SET ULTRADIR command but the current ULTRAMIX.INI will still be on the floppy so you might need to copy it over.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!