VOGONS

First post, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a PC with an SB16 and a GUS MAX.
Everything worked fine until I wanted to try replacing the SB16 with an AWE64. Almost everything worked but I seemed to have an Adlib conflict with my GUS so I settled on the SB16, and Iput that back in. Only now there's no MIDI coming out the gameport to my SC-55 (it used to work!)

I checked my cabling and everything seems fine, however there is no MIDI activity on the SC-55. Using a MIDI waveblaster board, everything works so I know my MIDI port address is set correctly.

I am puzzled, what should I look for next?

Here are the lines that are related to soundcards in my autoexec.bat

REM ===== SB16 Setup =====
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

REM ===== Gravis Setup =====
SET ULTRASND=240,6,7,3,7
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND
SET ULTRA16=34C,0,0,1,0
C:\ULTRASND\ULTRINIT.EXE -dj

My guess is I messed something up editing my config files to and from the AWE64 but it is seriously going over my head!

Reply 1 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello olivil! It works via the waveblaster header, but not the DB15 port ? Strange.
Please double check the cable. Try switching both ends of the cable, if necessary.
Sometimes a labeling like "MIDI OUT" means "TO MIDI OUT", which can be quite confusing at times. 😕
Also make sure the "MPUEN" jumper is set on SB16. Sorry, that's all that comes to my mind right now.

Edit: Are you using a Plug'n'Pray model of the SB16, or a "real" SB16 (CT17xx, CT27xx, ..) ? 😉
If you're the hostage of a PnP model, try to change the configuration schemes in that nasty utility (CTCU or what it was called).
To Configuration 0 or 1, for example. Configuration no. 2 lacked the AdLib port adresses, last time I had to use that atrociousness.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 8, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jo22, thanks for your reply!

I have a CT1740 Sound Blaster 16. There is no MPUEN jumper on that card, only a port select (300h or 330h, currently on 330h).

I have verified the cabling multiple times... I will try again with the AWE64 to confirm it is working.

Reply 3 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In all the sooundcards that I have checked (quite a few): the waveblaster midi pin is hardwired to the DB15 port midi pin.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olivil wrote:

Jo22, thanks for your reply!

I have a CT1740 Sound Blaster 16. There is no MPUEN jumper on that card, only a port select (300h or 330h, currently on 330h).

I have verified the cabling multiple times... I will try again with the AWE64 to confirm it is working.

You're welcome! I look forward to hearing from you soon. 😀

Btw, I've also got an CT1740. If I can help you with testing, please tell.
- I have got no external General-MIDI module, though.. 😅

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 8, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that's weird then! Just confirmed the SC-55 is working with the AWE64.

HOWEVER, Jo22 you made me realize I was using config 2 in CTCU with my AWE and that's WHY I wasn't getting any Adlib, It works now!

I would prefer a real OPL3 but I'll settle on the AWE64 for now, it's so quiet 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

In all the sooundcards that I have checked (quite a few): the waveblaster midi pin is hardwired to the DB15 port midi pin.

Thanks for verifying that, I thought the same! ^^ My CT1740 is currently boxed up,
but the CT2230 here has several resistors located near the DB15. On his card, maybe some of them went bad / got shorted ?
The only SB16 I know of that doesn't have MIDI on the gameport is an integrated Vibra in some Macintosh..
Another possible stumbling stone is the MIDI cable. Yes, I know, it works. But maybe the AWE uses different signal levels,
which are required for the opto-insulators inside of the cable. Or it's some other equally inconspicuous detail we're missing.
Sorry, I know it's far fetched but I've got no better explanation for this issue right now. Except the cause beeing a magical curse. 😊

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olivil wrote:

I would prefer a real OPL3 but I'll settle on the AWE64 for now, it's so quiet 😀

Awesome, glad it works now! 😁

I hope you didn't mind that I'm not so much of an PnP fan. I didn't mean to say that all SB16PnPs/AWEs are bad cards per se.
While it's true that I prefer classic SB models (non-PnP), I do admit that the AWE 64 Gold is a fine card (-for example-).
I've also got a Goldfinch card, because EMU's EMU8000 is a synth I do kinda respect.

If you ever need a true OPL3, just install a random secondary ISA card with YMF-262 or LS-262.
And if you're lucky, the FM part should be already working before you load or install any drivers.
The mixer is the linchpin of the entire situation then. If FM is not muted by default, you'll hear OPL music. ^^

By the way, in case of OPL3 support you can also use PCI cards just fine. There will be no compatibility issues.
Some of them do include built-in OPLs only, though. For authencity, check this thread.While it's not intended for that purpose,
it's a start. For example, the ALS300 uses PCI but seems to have the same FM core as the ALS100+ (ISA).

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

I hope you didn't mind that I'm not so much of an PnP fan.

Absolutely not! I don't really care for the AWE capabilities out of Adlib/SB compatibility. In that sense I would rather have a non-PnP card so I don't have to dedicate memory to it.

But the absence of hanging note bug and noise is worth it right now. I might grab a YMF71x card soon to replace it though. All I need is SB sounds, Adlib and (UART is fine) MIDI out with the least amount of noise so it seems like a good card for me. In the meantime, the AWE suits me fine. 😀